Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to create an "up to date" installation disk from my own one. So after installing the system shouldn't need to download any update. Is that possible? If so, how? Thanks.

I know how to make an installation disk without things that I won't use and that can be burnt in a single layer DVD. But I want to make one that would be up to date with all the updates that have been released until now included.

Is that possible? How do I download the updates? How do y include them in the DVD? I would be great if I don't have to isntall them manually after installing the macosx.

I think there should be two ways of doing so:

1.- Include the updates in the DVD and execute them after the system installation.

2.- That the installation itself were up to date.

Can anyone help me? Thak you.

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 3:16 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2011 3:42 AM in response to Jiffer

I don't believe it is. TimeCapsule restore would be limited to the same platform it was backed up from?

I think what the OP is after is the idea of slipstreamed DVD including Snow Leopard *&* the latest combo updates. In the Windows world this is referred to as a slipstreamed install.

For example you could have the latest build of SL plus the latest combo update slipstreamed in and this should work flexibly across a number of platforms.

Unfortunately though I don't know if it's possible with OSX. It's a real time-saver in the Windows world though if you have a number of machines to deploy or if you're constantly building/assembling VMs for example.

Apr 17, 2011 3:49 AM in response to DabiCoven

I do not think this is easy at all; I remember I once asked Apple engineering to prepare a one-piece update for a generation of Mac OS when that generation is replaced by a new one (e.g. a global upate bundle for 10.5.x).

The simplest way is to download the combo update of the given system (e.g. 10.6.7), which usually includes other updates as well (e.g. security updates), restart, then see what software Update still detects. Downloading the latest updtes, and keeping them on the disk is the fastest way to update, even if you have a fst internet connection.

Otherwise, of course, if you are an expert, and can put together stuff so as to have the latest software. I am afraid I cannot offer any further suggestion here.

I want to create an "up to date" installation disk from my own one. So after installing the system shouldn't need to download any update. Is that possible? If so, how? Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.