Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font size in new Apple Discussions

Hi everyone, is there a way to set reduce the font size used in the threads here? I see that I can set it via the menu above while I am typing this, but what about older threads I have subscribed to or initiated?

Thanks

Björn

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 4:56 AM

27 replies

Apr 17, 2011 7:21 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

Björn Herrmann wrote:

Hi everyone, is there a way to set reduce the font size used in the threads here? I see that I can set it via the menu above while I am typing this, but what about older threads I have subscribed to or initiated?

Thanks

Björn

Björn, I have not found the general option to change your preferred font for all messages, but I am using the advanced editor with an 8 point font selected to see if that works. Actually on my iMac I found the previous layout of Discussions small, so I like they seem to be larger now.

Apr 17, 2011 7:35 AM in response to Rick Lang

Rick Lang wrote:

Björn, I have not found the general option to change your preferred font for all messages, but I am using the advanced editor with an 8 point font selected to see if that works. Actually on my iMac I found the previous layout of Discussions small, so I like they seem to be larger now.

Okay, at least setting the font size in the advanced editor works. But it looks like you need to set it every time as it defaults to 10 point whenever you post an entry. Found the size can vary with any part of the message so it’s not always forced to be the same size for all the text you quote or post. It’s good that it works just like a conventional word processor then.

Apr 17, 2011 12:23 PM in response to Rick Lang

That’s really a step backwards I think. Even when I remember to set the font size myself every time I write a reply, I can’t hope that everyone else in the thread does use my preferred setting. 😮

At first I thought that it can’t be 10 pt, because it looks so huge, but maybe 10 pt is really that big. I’m using a 30" Cinema Display and I can only view 3-4 replies before I need to scroll, that’s ridiculous!

Björn

Apr 17, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Björn Herrmann

So far I dont see any way to change the font size for the site, but you can use Safari's Command-plus and Command-minus (or pinch-zoom) options to change the font size. It works quite well with the site, but if you quit and relaunch then it all reverts back. I agree it would be nice to have a font setting (even if it's just "small, medium, and Large) in the user settings.

Apr 17, 2011 2:07 PM in response to Topher Kessler

This is one aspect of the new communities that I really like. Why? Because, in order to have the non-glare screen on my MBP, I had to get the HD feature, too. That made all type seem quite small, and the old Apple discussion forum didn't seem to pay attention to the fact that I'd told Safari to make all type larger. Now I can see what's written without constantly hitting Command-+!

Apr 18, 2011 6:37 AM in response to Bob Jacobson

Why do we get higher dpi displays (or get them forced on us, the standard MBP dpi has increased from about 100 dpi to about 130 dpi, the new MBA goes even higher)?

a) So, we can get more stuff on the screen (but applications completely nullify this with larger fonts and more whitespace like Skype 5.x and now Apple discussions)

b) To make things look sharper.

If b) is the main reason then Skype 5.x and Apple discussions are doing the right thing. Since no OS does really great in adjusting to different dpi, maybe what we see here is the only way to get to sharper displays.

Font size in new Apple Discussions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.