Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost referenced photos in Aperture -- need help with re-associating them

When I first started using Aperture 3, I elected to have my existing iPhoto pics as referenced, rather than managed files.

I recently replaced my hard drive (for a bigger one to hold all those photos...). Now I find that whenever I click on a referenced photo, I get the error message:

Versions with unavailable master files cannot be exported. The selected master image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.

I understand I can go do File>Locate Referenced Files.

Given that they haven't been moved from their original location (I assume within the iPhoto library), is there a way to automatically re-associate all of them? I've got about 10,000 photos like this now and can't possibly track them down one by one.

In the dialog window that pops up, the lower box is where you point to the original files. I can select "iphoto library" but don't see any way to do this easily for a lot of photos. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" (late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 5:46 AM

9 replies

Apr 17, 2011 2:55 PM in response to rwboyer

Thanks for your help with this. That article seemed to be helpful, but I can't seem to implement it's suggestions.

The one secret to making manage referenced files work is that you need to select all of the files in the upper pane that are disconnected and then navigate to the correct/new location in the bottom pane. Doing this will activate the “reconnect all” button that will do all of the heavy lifting for you.

Unfortunately, when I try to do this, I am unable to "select all" -- I can only select one photo at a time. If I do cmd+A, all the files in the upper pane are not elected.. (And option + reconnect all doesn't un-grey that button).

Sigh...

Apr 18, 2011 5:14 AM in response to rwboyer

Oh, man -- THANK YOU! That last bit of info did it for me.

So to summarize for others that may be struggling with this:

[1] Create a smart album to locate all the referenced photos (I used the keyword "iphoto original" which Aperture applied to all my iphoto pics when I starting using Aperture).

[2]Select all photos in the album (cmd-A)

[3] File>Locate Referenced Files

[4] In the upper panel highlight one photo.

[5] Use spotlight to locate where that photo is on your hard drive.

[6] In the lower panel navigate to the location of the photo

[7] Click on the "reconnect all button at the bottom.

Aperture then took about 5 minutes reconnecting all my referenced photos.

Excellent. Thanks!

Lost referenced photos in Aperture -- need help with re-associating them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.