Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the quickest way to put edit points around a selection?

In the timeline (TL) I have made a selection inside a clip (using the Range Selection tool):

User uploaded file

What is the quickest way to make this selection a separate clip (as below)?:

User uploaded file

PS Saying 'put edit points around' and 'make separate clip', I guess are always the same thing, so I have mixed my terms!?

PS I have currently been using: CMD + X, CMD + V, but this is a hack, not a method, so there has to be a way, right?

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 5:37 AM

Nope, no special function in FCP to do that ... if your playhead is on the in point then Cmd X, Cmd V is a good quick workflow to achieve it ... but why would you want to? Whats the bigger goal? Maybe someone can help you find a better way for achieving that, whatever it is?

13 replies

Apr 17, 2011 5:54 AM in response to Captain Mench

he mentioned how he did it.. using the "Range Selection Tool"

i too am confused, and agree that if you articulate what the end goal is, folks can give a better answer... but if I'm understanding what you are intending to accomplish, you should be able to get to a distinct clip by turning snapping on (n), moving the playhead to the edit points, and using the razor tool to slice it up.

Apr 17, 2011 6:30 AM in response to Andy Mees

Thanks to you all for quick replies, especially Andy for quickly understanding me.

Yup, I used the Range Selection tool. It's a great tool, when for e.g. you want to lift ambient room tone from a portion of an audio clip to paste elsewhere.

Anyway, I am just experimenting thoroughly with all the tools and workflows, to find quickest ways of doing things. To answer your question(s): an example in which you would want to do what I mention above is if you wanted to quickly apply particular Effects/Parameters/Settings to a portion of a clip, like a sepia tint, and wanted to be able to easily click back to that portion later, see e.g. below:

User uploaded file

Thanks again 🙂🙂

What's the quickest way to put edit points around a selection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.