Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so difficult to find an Airport Extreme Card for my 2008 MacBook Pro?

I took my Macbook Pro to the Whitehall, PA Apple Store to have a new Airport Extreme Card installed. After one week I was told that they could not locate a replacement card. What gives? Is my computer now obsolete?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 15" Screen

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 6:10 AM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2011 7:57 AM in response to Dave From PA

Just get the part from OWC. Hightly reliable vendor. The Apple Store tend to focus on the newest machines and having the parts instock for those under warrenty. And even though your MAc is not that old based on the parts listing, the airpost extreme card was changed right after that model. That's probably why it's not as available.

You can find it here: Apple 661-5048 Airport Extreme- 802.11n Wireless... $75.00 at OWC

Installation instructions are included. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself get the part and find a local Apple repair shop to do it for you.

Jun 6, 2011 2:06 PM in response to Dave From PA

Hello,

I've also found it difficult to replace the wireless card in my Macbook Pro. I was able to track down the current part number in my device as being 661-3890; but I figure it may be better just to upgrade to an 802.11n compatible card. I've found a few listings on ebay but they are not straight forward. I want to make sure that anything I might buy is at least compatible with my computer.

A creditable site, OWC, has a part number 661-5048 they sell that is compatible but is on the upper end of the price spectrum. I have the A1150 Macbook Pro (1,1) which I believe is also referred to as the late 2006/early 2007 model. In my research I was able to deduce that some people have had success replacing their cards with the Atheros AR5BXB6 card although there appears to be some debate regarding the different Manufacture Part numbers (482261-001 and 482261-002). There are a few of these listed on auctions (used and new) but the range in price is $100.

I'm new to the Mac screen and would appreciate any help in the right direction as I have yet to find an authority that confidently and clearly states what cards are compatible with my box. Thanks!

Why is it so difficult to find an Airport Extreme Card for my 2008 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.