14 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 1:17 AM by Ronda Wilson
R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (15,120 points)

Am I the only one seeing items in the new "More Like This" section of topics mostly filled with suggestions that have little or no relevancy to the current topic?

2008 iMacs: 24"/3.06 GHz + 20"/2.66 GHz; White MacBook/2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Kensington Trackball; Airport Extreme 802.11n; assorted iPods an
  • Eme Level 5 Level 5 (5,635 points)

R C-R wrote:

Am I the only one seeing items in the new "More Like This" section of topics mostly filled with suggestions that have little or no relevancy to the current topic?

I agree the revelancy is almost nile, I posted about my first name being swapped for my housemates and his for mine, and I'm told an apple id post is like mine, well it's not.

Re: Can't hear, others can't hear me except through speaker or headset

re; My 60GB iPod Video doesn't like airplanes

Hmm...

• Topher Kessler Level 6 Level 6 (9,595 points)

My guess is that this will get more relevant with use, as people add more tags and content that is indexed by the service/application running this forum. I figure it's similar to the "Genius Playlists" or "Party Shuffle" options that appeared in iTunes a while ago, where the more people submitted the more relevant iTunes' suggestions became.

• Matt K. Level 4 Level 4 (2,380 points)

Hi Topher,

You are correct! The "More Like This" widget will continue to improve. As you can imagine, turning on the new ASC requires some "warming up!"

Thanks R C-R and Eme for the feedback!

-Matt K.

English Communities Manager

• twentw Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

They should not have gotten rid of the sub-forums.  Those were necessary for users to quickly go to (and post in) the proper sub-topic.  As it is now, we must rely on tags and categories, which are not mandatory, and if they're not used, the post gets lost in the jumble.  "More like this" is not the solution either.

• blueCdreams Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yes! I agree.

The sub-forums are there if you click the "Refine this list..." link and select a sub-topic. From here you can link directly to the sub-topic by copying and pasting the URL where you want/need.

• Ronda Wilson Level 8 Level 8 (40,995 points)

I just clicked on one of the "More Like This" suggestions, and was told I didn't have sufficient privileges to access that topic!

Maybe this will change, but I have found that you have to click to Refine each and every time you return to the list.

• twentw Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

That's not correct.  All of the old posts were given a category that corresponds to the sub-forum where it was posted.  But going forward there are no mandatory categories.  So, if you post a question about photos, but don't tag or categorize it, there's no way to find it by topic.

I suspect that's a bug more than anything else ATM.

• Katrina S. Level 7 Level 7 (24,090 points)

haha. Yes, yours is the top" more like this result" on my[url=https://discussions.apple.com/message/15093964] other topic[/url].

Only one I've seen that actually makes sense, BTW.

So...is this supposed to get better over time, like Genius being able to match iTunes songs?

Completely off topic, anybody seen the latest South Park episode where people don't read the itunes store terms?

Hilarious.

• Mike Connelly Level 4 Level 4 (1,785 points)

Topher Kessler wrote:

The sub-forums are there if you click the "Refine this list..." link and select a sub-topic. From here you can link directly to the sub-topic by copying and pasting the URL where you want/need.

It's not completely working in the FCS/STP forum, there are posts showing up in the STP subtopic that shouldn't be there.  And when you click on the "1" for first page of posts, the posts shown change, doesn't make sense.

• twtwtw Level 5 Level 5 (4,900 points)

Well, I hope it's soon.  So far I haven't seen anything in the "more like this" section that's newer than 2008 (and a few threads going back to 2005); I see no point in answering questions where the original poster most likely has bought a new machine in the meantime. 

twtwtw wrote:

Well, I hope it's soon.  So far I haven't seen anything in the "more like this" section that's newer than 2008 (and a few threads going back to 2005); I see no point in answering questions where the original poster most likely has bought a new machine in the meantime. 

You can't answer a question in a thread that old (usually). It's usually archived so no responses are allowed.

However, I've found that "More Like This" can sometimes help you find the answer to a new question about older hardware or software. It's been helpful to me more than once in the iBook Discussions. So, if new people asking about older hardware or software notice "More Like This" after they post their question, it's quite possible that they can find their own answer there in those ancient threads.