4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 8:54 AM by The Typogrammer
Janice Fisher Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

This morning I noted a file on my hard drive labeled

Inside are many more files labeled things like:

PRIVATE

etc

tftpboot

tmp

var

When I click on one of these, it has stuff like this: 

This is under 'AUTHORIZATION;

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>comment</key>

<string>The name of the requested right is matched against the keys.  An exact match has priority, otherwise the longest match from the start is used.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>comment</key>

<string>The name of the requested right is matched against the keys.  An exact match has priority, otherwise the longest match from the start is used.          Note that the right will only match wildcard rules (ending in a ".") during this reduction.

allow rule: this is always allowed

&lt;key&gt;com.apple.TestApp.benign&lt;/key&gt;

&lt;string&gt;allow&lt;/string&gt;

deny rule: this is always denied

It is a long document.  With each of these files are nested more files.  I don't know what it is, when it came or what to do about it.  Before I toss it, I thought I should find out what it is.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6), iMac Intel
  • KevinS Canada Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

everything in those directories is required for the system to run.

there are a bunch of UNIX system directories including (but not limited to)

/var

/tmp

/temp

/swap

/etc

/bin

don't touch these - they are hidden for a reason and shouldn't be removed/changed unless you really know what you're doing.

• The Typogrammer Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

Janice,

You definitely do not want to delete these files. The Mac OS X Finder hides many important system files to prevent people from accidentally modifying or deleting them. These files can still be viewed and modified with other applications, but it is highly discouraged unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

I'm not quite sure how you found them, but I'm sure that it would be a very bad idea to toss them.

--

Damon

• Janice Fisher Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

More information,

I created the folder "private' last night.  In it I filed 2 pdf documents created from letters I wrote and 1 email.  This morning, inside the 'private' folder are all these files (at least 30 of them with more files nested in them), most in html.  The 3 documents I filed are not there unless they are inside one of the other files.

What could this be?  I've never seen anything quite like it.

Message was edited by: Janice Fisher

• The Typogrammer Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

When I tried to create a folder named 'private', the Finder would not let me do so, stating that it was already in use. I'm not sure how you were able to create it.

But we can try something different. If you haven't opened up too many things recently, we can try using the Finder's "Recent Items" menu. On the top-left corner of your screen, click the Apple icon, then move your mouse over the "Recent Items" menu. If you see one of the documents you're looking for in that menu, hold down the Command key, then click on the document. (It should say "Show <file name> in Finder")

That should open a Finder window with your item selected. You can then Command-click on the little folder next to the folder name at the top of the Finder window to see where that folder is at on the hard drive.