Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the new Support Communities from an iPad

My primary method of accessing the Forums has been, for the last several months, has been my iPad. I'm finding the new version very difficult to use with my iPad. It my just be my lack of understanding, of course.

What I've had trouble with so far:

Composing an entry: The default editor that comes up doesn't work at all in iCab for iPad. Tapping in the box with any combination of fingers doesn't bring up a keyboard. If I click on the little HTML button, I can type but there is no visible insertion point. Tapping and holding doesn't bring up the magnifying glass so I can't go back and fix typos except by backspacing to the error and typing over.

Personalizing my Homepage: I can't drag widgets in iCab.

And yes, I'm not good with change. 😉

MacBook Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Current iPods: 3 Gen Nano, 1st Gen Touch, 3G Touch, 6th gen Nano

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 9:30 AM

20 replies

Apr 17, 2011 11:16 AM in response to Matt K.

Thanks, Matt. I will reach out to iCab. Safari, sadly, doesn't work very well for my "work flow" (no real tabbed browsing, not clip to Evernote). As I make extensive use of tabbed browsing while reading the forums, Safari just doesn't cut it.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out. Good luck dealing with the hysteria until then. 😉

Apr 17, 2011 8:55 PM in response to Topher Kessler

I figured out not to use anything but safari after about two minutes, but the worst thing was we got a glimpse of what is meant to be, then immobile safari, we get even less than the old forums gave us for formatting.

We can't go back to edit a posting.

Can't insert pictures, which would be great for iPad help.

I can't figure out how they have such an emphasis on the post pc industry, then ignore iPads on these forums. Huge emphasis on iOS and months to work out the kinks, only to drop support for even making a piece of text BOLD for heavens sake!

Does anyone know if we are stuck as second class citizens of the forum community now, or are they working on adding the extras u's too?

Thanks

Jason

Jun 7, 2011 6:17 AM in response to Matt K.

This is sadly not the case as of May-June 6th 2011:

1) the editor toolbar does not does not display in Safari though it seems to try. The toolbar does display in Atomic Web and iCabMobile but you never get a text insertion bar.

2) it is not obvious that there are more communities past the iMac group nor how to scroll down to get to them.

Since there are no longer three communities under iPad, maybe a new one can be added "Using User Support Communities with iPad". That way iPad users will have a better chance at getting and providing help. It should not be surprising that, unlike most iPhone and iPod Touch users, iPad users will try to use their device as the primary mode of interacting with the community and falsely believe that what they see is the proper user interface.

I guess the good thing about the current state of affairs is that emoticons aren't available. They serve no useful purpose whatsoever :-(. I think the only worse feature is tab browsing. Fortunately, Safari does not have it and probably never will.

Thanks very sincerely Meg "Happy Dance" for yet another excellent discussion question and Matt "They'll never find this post" for your reply. :-)

Jun 9, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Matt K.

"Those who work in glass office buildings shouldn't throw stones."

I noticed that when using TenFourFox on Tiger 10.4.11 when making a reply, the forum software doesn't insert the blinking curser in the text input box. I have to click the mouse on the input box before I can type my comments. I opened an account on the Adobe forum which uses the Jive software. The Adobe software does insert a cursor in the input text box.

Perhaps a cursor isn't being inserted with the iCab browser on the iPad. Thus, iCab is confused by the lack of a cursor in the input box. Do whatever you do to "click" on the input box on the iPad.

Maybe these other problems observed in TenFourFox are confusing iPad web browsers when processing the reply text-input box:

-- size of the input box is larger than the size of the browser window.

-- you can resize the window vertically but not horizontally

-- system spell checking is blocked in TenFourFox but not Safari

The new forum software is the worst software I have seen from Apple … bug ridden and doesn't follow web usability conventions.

Robert

May 30, 2012 7:52 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Kinda late to the party, but someone may still benefit from this: I am using Atomic Lite (free) as the browser on my iPad - appears to work much better than Safari and displays the toolbar in the reply window box in ASC. And here is a workaround I've found in case I need to look up a kb article and then want to insert the link into my reply:

Open a new tab and go to the desired website. In Atomic, choose email URL. You'll get an email message window. I select and copy the URL in the body of the message and then dismiss the message/delete it. Back to my reply window on ASC: choose paste and you've got the link posted.

That's my solution - if someone else has a better one, please post it - I'd like to see it.

Jan 24, 2016 5:16 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

My primary method of accessing the Forums has been, for the last several months, has been my iPad. I'm finding the new version very difficult to use with my iPad. It my just be my lack of understanding, of course.

What I've had trouble with so far:

Composing an entry: The default editor that comes up doesn't work at all in iCab for iPad. Tapping in the box with any combination of fingers doesn't bring up a keyboard. If I click on the little HTML button, I can type but there is no visible insertion point. Tapping and holding doesn't bring up the magnifying glass so I can't go back and fix typos except by backspacing to the error and typing over.

Personalizing my Homepage: I can't drag widgets in iCab.

And yes, I'm not good with change. 😉

I Haz that problem too! I always get double capital on the beginning of a reply

Using the new Support Communities from an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.