Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iPhoto 9.1.1 export edited pictures?

I've tried to search the forum for an answer as to why iPhoto is not allowing me to export photos that have been edited in iPhoto, and have not found a solution, so please forgive me that I am asking a question that so many have asked.

What I am trying to do: Import a picture from a camera, perform minor editing in iPhoto, and export it to a site for printing.

How I am attempting: Insert CF or SD card into reader, import into iPhoto, click the "Edit" button, adjust exposure curves, and add a little edge blur.

After performing edits, I cannot: Drag the photo from iPhoto to the desktop nor a folder

Click File> Export> Select options to write photos to a folder, USB stick, etc

Under File> Export I have tried: Selecting Original, Current, JPEG, TIFF, and PNG for "Kind"

Selecting all combinations of "Quality and Size"

Tried using File Names as Sequential, Title, Album Name with number, and filename

Error I get: Unable to create /Users/username/foldername/ ; dragging still results in "No Smoking" symbol

I have tried: restarting machine

repairing Disk permissions

Repairing Iphoto library database,

Examine and repair iPhoto Library File Permissions

Deleting, replacing, repairing iPhoto plist

Any insight would be appreciated. This is performed on an intel iMac core 2 duo, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, iPhoto 9.1.1- FYI- all functions work as expected on my Macbook pro.

Thanks,

-gary

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 10:01 AM

11 replies

Apr 19, 2011 8:35 AM in response to Apple_TV_fan

Apple's Express Line advisor told me that this is a known problem and will be addressed. Simply stated, the externally edited photo is saved but not where export looks for it. The workaround, which works for me, is to click on the edited photo and then revert to original, which does not revert, but does link to the modified photo (or, puts the modified photo in the proper place).

This may not be the only problem, but it fixed my problem.

Apr 21, 2011 10:18 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terrence,

Thank you for helping me root out the problem. Even though I still don't know what went wrong in the first place, I Selected All> Revert to Original. Even though I have lost all the work that went into editing the photos, I can now edit the pictures and export them through a variety of ways.

I don't know how to go about reporting the problem to Apple, or even how to replicate the problem. Somehow, I guess iPhoto lost the edited picture, but still showed the edited preview in the Library.

I am going to move to Aperture because of all the quirks iPhoto has been giving me.

-Apple_TV_Fan (Gary)

Apr 21, 2011 10:29 AM in response to Fred Harwood

Thanks, Fred. Unfortunately, the edits were minor enough to handle within iPhoto, which is where they were edited. However, by Reverting to Original, I am now able to edit them and deal with them as normal. I don't know why the first-time edits were corrupted.

I am moving to Aperture, as my photo libraries are large, and sussing out problems with iPhoto is tiring. I used to rave about iPhoto, but on my iMac, the latest version of iPhoto has been a big bag of hurt.

Regards,

- Apple_TV_Fan

Apr 21, 2011 10:40 AM in response to dankohn

If i re-import, the problem goes away. With the re-imported photos, I am able to edit, then drag to the desktop or folder, export, and burn as normal. For some reason, iPhoto just didn't handle the edits correctly the first time around.

Now, I just have to edit all the photos again. Which is not the end of the world, but doesn't make my wife happy, as everything that could go wrong in iPhoto does on her iMac. It's funny, she doesn't call it iPhoto anymore- she calls it "That Photo Program that YOU Installed."

Why won't iPhoto 9.1.1 export edited pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.