Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug reports

Just starting a topic for bugs in the new forum. I'm hoping this is used positively, to alert the hosts of issues, rather than as a spot for folks to complain about how much they dislike the new forums. So, here are a couple I've noticed...

Dragging a text clipping file into a message results in a URL to the local file to be inserted rather than the clipping. That's a pain for me, as I used to insert a lot of links and other canned text by dropping clippings, now I can't do that.

The green "(updated)" text that appears next to posts in the forums is useful, but needs to also be in other places, like Your Stuff->Discussions or in a Watch A User widget in "Your View". It should also appear on individual messages within a topic that have been added since the last time you viewed it. This is less a bug and more a feature request, I guess.

I'll add more as I explore further.

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 11:44 AM

7 replies

May 5, 2011 9:11 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I'd like to add an added enhancement request that in "Your Stuff" one can set the number of topics to 50 and that will automatically port over to all pages (rather than having to do it every time I visit a new forum).

If I understood you: My way of dealing with this is to set all the forums I regularly visit to Discussions view, raise the default number of topics from 30 to 50, save as default (if available) and then add that to my Firefox bookmarks. I keep all of the forum bookmarks in the same area. When I use one of those bookmarked entries, it brings me to directly to the forum with 50 topics on view.

I still have bookmarked in Firefox the specific sub-forums I'm interested in within each of those four or five major categories (I'm still balking at calling anything here a "community;" that term, to me, reeks of Orwellian speak.) Problem is, for some reason, not all topics appear that way as appear in Discussions view Refine this List, making those sub-forum bookmarks much less useful for me: Possible bug? I've added an asterisk to the end of each of the main forums I have bookmarked, in order to easily distinguish them from the sub-forums.

With as much screen real estate as you have on the 27, to get around you can leave the Firefox Bookmarks Menu open in its sidebar -- shrink its width to the minimum necessary to recognize a category, and you can change the category name in Show all Bookmarks to make it shorter, if necessary -- and navigate to forums from that. When I'm looking through the forums here, I'm leaving the Bookmarks sidebar open on my 21.5 without feeling cramped. There is so much wasted/unused white space in the forums themselves, anyway.

And, instead of bothering with Your Stuff, which I haven't bothered with since the first week of the new design, I've set Forum Home>Your View>Watch a user to watch my own user set to 75.

May 5, 2011 10:12 AM in response to WZZZ

An example URL displaying 100 topics in a community looks like this (sorry, but the software breaks a live link):

https://discussions.apple.com/community/using_apple_support_communities#/?per_page=100

You can add any number you like after per_page= and bookmark it.

(It takes a little longer for 100 topics to load than it does for 50...)

May 5, 2011 10:38 AM in response to WZZZ

I'm getting a page set to Overview, not Discussions

I imagine it goes to your default setting for a given community.

I'm sure it works for you.

It just works, to borrow a phrase. It's not hypothetical.

Anyway, the point is to get more than 50 topics displayed?

The point is to demonstrate how to get any number of topics displayed, from 1 to whatever.

Bug reports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.