Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad limitations? Is it really a Mac?

Hi,

I just got an iPad last week, and am trying to learn to like it.

So far, it's limitations seem to outweigh it's strengths. First, it doesn't really work like a Mac. There is no dock, no Finder, no 'drag and drop'. There is Mail, but it really doesn't work like Mail; there is Safari, but it really doesn't work like Safari; there is iPhoto, but it really doesn't work like iPhoto.

Let's take iPhoto for example. With the iPad untethered to another computer, I can not - from iPhoto within iPad alone - create 'albums', re-group events', move images from one event to a new event, etc. There may be work-arounds -- because there sure are a lot of apps available! But doesn't that itself say something telling about the limits of iPad? That you have to add dozens of apps to make it work like you want it to doesn't seem to me to be a good thing.

Over the years one of the best things about Mac's was that they just worked -- right out of the box! And they all worked the same way!

Not so with iPad, or so it seems to me.

What am I missing?

Haly2k1

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 12:05 PM

18 replies

Apr 17, 2011 12:18 PM in response to Halle

Hi,

The iPad runs on iOS, the Mac runs on Mac OS X, two difference operating systems.

There is a Dock. It's at the bottom of every screen. You'll see the default apps there. Mail / Safari / iPod etc.

There are hundreds of iPhoto "how to's" available on the net.

http://apple-ipad-tablet-help.blogspot.com/2010/03/create-multiple-photo-albums- on-ipad.html

I think you would benefit from perusing the iPad online user guide available here.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_2_user_guide.pdf

Safari will not work on the iPad as it does on a Mac or Windows based machine. It's been "optimized" for the iPad. Same with iPhoto.

iPads work "out of the box" ... give it some time since you've only had it a week.

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 17, 2011 12:48 PM in response to Halle

The other commentors here have a point, although I'm not sure where the animosity (snarkiness?) comes from.

The iPad is meant to be a "bridge" device between something like a smartphone and a full fledged computer. Although the applications that are available for the iPad are not necessarily "full" versions of their computer counterparts, the iPad offers a way to access some of the capabilities of these apps using a more mobile, and most of the time fun interface.

It's a device that everyone can use without discrimination. It's intuitive and it is exactly what a lot of people are looking for.

Hope you learn to see the value in your iPad and if you don't, feel free to send it to my address :)

Apr 17, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Halle

I also hope to use my new refurb orig iPad as my defacto main Mac. Funny that my 2nd gen iPod touch does so much more than my iPad does right now. In a way I am now like you after only owning for one week having to force myself to use it to get anything done. I even restored it from my iPod backup to kinda sync them. Only 121 of the 140 apps were compatible. It IS different. But just keep using it. It's kinda cool too. Now how do I turn off the damm auto-correct so I can type in peace?? Dammit.

Apr 17, 2011 3:28 PM in response to friendsofitalianopera

Go to Settimgs<General<Keyboard and turn off auto correction.

I had the opposite experience from the OP. I bought my iPad 2 on a whim and haven't been able to stop using it. Sitting in a boring meeting last Friday and making notes on PDFs of the documents we were discussing (using iAnnotate) and not having to lug around paper or my laptop *almost* made the meeting fun. (I was using a sytlus and a few drawings and a glance at MLB At Bat may have also crept in.)

I can write (iuse the Apple wireless keyboard for anything longer than a blog comment), i can research, I can sync with my laptop and with apps I love like Scrivener, I can print--I can do most of what I need to do except heavy image editing or work with a topographic mapping program I use.

ETA--please replace the garbled carets--the new forums won't let us iPad users edit our posts! It's laughable, really.

Apr 17, 2011 3:32 PM in response to tonefox

not Snarky

What I wanted was a small, light weight machine, that acted like a Mac, not an iPod Touch. One that has a real dock, a real finder, that can run PS, not a bunch of work-around apps. I think what I want may be called MacBook Air!

;-)

Haly2k1

ps: I did spend considerable time playing with them in the Apple Store, but convinced myself that with all the add on apps, I could easily lego myself the machine I envisioned. After a wek I'm beginning to believe that the inherent limitations can't be overcome for my particular needs.

Apr 17, 2011 3:44 PM in response to Halle

Having bought the iPad expecting a 'Mac-like' experience your confusion and disappointment is obvious but your expectations were incorrect. At this point you have two realistic choices: sell it (that shouldn't be a problem and you could even make a profit) or adjust to the iPad.

If you accept that the iPad isn't a mouseless Mac but something akin to a large Touch you might still find out that the iPad is magical. But if you really want a small light Mac sell it and look to the MacBook Air instead.

As for me, I had little idea what to expect when I pre-ordered mine last year. I knew it wasn't going to be a small Mac and that it was going to be a large Touch but I had no idea how much more than the Touch it would turn out to be. A year ago I used the family iMac about 20% of the time and my MacBook Pro about 80%. Today it is iMac 15%, MBP 40%, and iPad 45%...and the iPad keeps gaining time.

Apr 17, 2011 4:57 PM in response to Halle

Halle wrote:

not Snarky

What I wanted was a small, light weight machine, that acted like a Mac, not an iPod Touch. One that has a real dock, a real finder, that can run PS, not a bunch of work-around apps. I think what I want may be called MacBook Air!

Yes, the air would be much better suited. It would have been a good idea to research ahead of time and you would have come to this realization. The iPad is a great device, but it won't suit everyone. I disagree on the notion of it being a big iPod Touch. I had one of those and sold it because the iPad is much better, where the other felt like a toy, this is a true multi-media device and creates a great bridge between my desktop and phone.

Apr 18, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Looking back, I can see I did vent a bit -- well, maybe more than a bit:-) -- but it was my frustration with myself that was that target. I was just reporting my impressions, which were -- that for the specific purpose that I got it for, e.g., to use as a portable lightweight stand alone'computer' on my trip to Italy, the iPad is going to be provide a little less functionality than I'd anticipated. I knew that the OS wasn't the full OS; that the interface was different from the rest of their computers, but I thought that I could find enough 'work-arounds' to fill the gaps.

In fact, I couldn't help teasing myself over the weekend. I think I must be getting old! (This may take a bit of explanation, so bear with me.) Back when iMovie first came out, in 1999, it was like a miracle had occurred. Up until then, video editing software -- Avid and Media Composer, or something like that, STARTED at half a million bucks, and up! iMovie had limited functionality, sort of like the iPad, but what it could do, it did exceptionally well. Even better, almost immediately, third party producers started creating 'plug-ins', which when I think of it were sort of like the apps of their day. I got really interested in iMovie, and particularly a company called Gee Three, which made some of the best plug-ins available, and pretty soon had tailored an editing system, using iMovie as a base, that could do just about anything you wanted to do with video editing, all for practically nothing! In fact, all that energy and enthusiasm that led to the creation of an iMovie user group, later, the iLife user group, and eventually as a branch, the Digital Photography user group.

Anyway, I've decided to take a different attitude about the iPad2 -- not to whine so much about what it won't do, but to build on what it can do! I'll keep playing with it, because there is a lot about it to like!. It does have a gorgeous screen, and the images themselves look great. I'll get my camera to iPad interface/gadget today, I hope, and can then start importing photos from the camera.

Only then will I be able to get a feel for what I can and cannot do.

Thanks again,

Haly2k1

Apr 18, 2011 7:51 AM in response to tonefox

"The OP has obviously no concept of what the iPad is, or anything about it, and has not bothered to find out before spending a substantial amount of money blindly.

Is that snarky? "

To: Is that snarky?

What would be most helpful would be an elaboration on your comment above: what IS the ipd?...in your HP?

:-)

Haly2k1

iPad limitations? Is it really a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.