Previous 1 2 Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 10:57 AM by Jalpuna
Jalpuna Level 1 Level 1

In brief: Aperture 3 doesn't see most of the photos that are in my iPhone camera roll.  Thus, I can't import them.  Help!

I have an iPhone 4.  I snapped a few photos and I see them in my camera roll.  When I plug the iPhone into my Mac via the usb connector, it syncs as it should.  But when I go into Aperture 3 and try to import the photos, only one shows up.  While searching for a solution this morning, I found a question about this problem asked 2 years ago here in the forums, but the solution no longer works.  Back then, the solution was to open Image Capture and press Command B to browse devices, then un-check your iPhone.  Then re-check it again.  Well, "Command+B" no longer works in Image Capture.  My Mac is running the latest version of Snow Leopard and my iOS is running the latest update (from this week) as well.  Any idea what's going on here or how I can fix it?

Solved by Jalpuna on Apr 20, 2011 10:57 AM Solved

I posted a few questions here in the forums as I tried to narrow down what the problem was.  In the end, it was a problem on my Mac, not the iPhone.  Repairing permissions and/or doing a disk repair solved it.  I'm not sure which because it seemed to make sense to do them both at the time.  Now, I have no problem importing from my iPhone.

• Ingo2711 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Did you try to delete the photo cache? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314

Can you see all your photos in iphoto?

• James A. Weston Level 5 Level 5

I'm not an Aperture user, but if you open iPhoto on your computer when you connect your iPhone 4 to it, you should be able to import all of your new photos from the Camera Roll.

I would think that you should then be able to access the new photos from Aperture.

• Jalpuna Level 1 Level 1

Incorrect.  No apps on my Mac can see most of the photos in my camera roll.  Not iPhoto.  Not Aperture.  Not image Capture.  They all see the same one photo out of ten.

• James A. Weston Level 5 Level 5

What I stated is not incorrect. That is not to say that you are not having some kind of problem that others are not having.

Are you selecting the your iPhone 4 in the leftmost column of iPhoto?

This is not an iPhoto problem.  It happens regardless of which app I use.  I'm not saying I can't download any photos from my iPhone.  I'm saying I can only download one out of the ten currently in the camera roll.  Yes, I can see my iPhone regardless of which app I'm using on my Mac.

For the record, I'm not using iPhoto.  I moved on to Aperture 3 months ago.

I cleared the cache as your tip suggested.  Whoooo...  the next sync took ages as re-synced all of my images from my Mac to my iPhone.  However, I still can't access 9 of the 10 photos in my iPhone camera roll when I try to import.  Every Mac app gives the same result (iPhoto / Aperture 3, Image Capture).

Again, just to be clear, my Mac does see my iPhone.  But I can only import one of the photos on my camera roll.

• twofoursixeight Level 1 Level 1

perhaps you could try using Dropbox, and upload your photo to the your dropbox and transfer it that way.

• Ingo2711 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Is the option not to import duplicates checked in the Aperture import options?

• jhrobbins Level 1 Level 1

just go into your iphone from finder and drag the photos out and then you can just put them in iphoto from there

I've come to realize that the problem is most likely a corrupted image file on my iPhone.  If I delete all images from my camera roll, the camera roll shows as being empty, but on my Mac, I see one image.  The image only shows as an outline, and importing it gives me an error.  Let's say I take five pictures.  I'll see five pictures in my camera roll, but if I try to import them, I still only see one image and it shows up as an outline but can't be viewed or imported.

This leads me to believe there's a corrupted image on my iPhone, and that any photos taken after it won't be viewable or importable.

So...  the question becomes: how do I delete the corrupted image?  Or ALL images.  Either way is fine.

If I go into the camera roll and delete images individually, I can only delete the ones that are shown.  Again, assuming I take 5 pics, I'll see 5 pics in the camera roll.  I can delete those 5, but there must be one more earlier pic that is corrupted.

That's my best guess.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to delete an image I can't see.  Bizarre.

"just go into your iphone from finder and drag the photos out and then you can just put them in iphoto from there"

How do you do that?  I tried using iPhone Explorer, but I can't find where the image would be.

• jhrobbins Level 1 Level 1

if its corrupted then it might be stuck so all i can say is restore if you cant find the image. but try look at it as a usb drive from finder

I've tried looking in the finder.  I didn't eve realize you could see an iPhone as a usb drive in the finder.  I don't see mine (but maybe that's because of the corrupted file?).

If I restore my iPhone, am I going to lose my data?  I realize there's a backup on my Mac, but wouldn't a backup also include the corrupted file?

The corrupted file was a photo edited last week.  That much I do know.  I could see it in the camera roll.  I deleted it that way, but I'm assuming it didn't actually delete.

Previous 1 2 Next