Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User preferences no boot...

Hi i got a big trouble

First at all, sorry for my english level

For introduce you:

I bought in january a MacPro, and i took all my configuration from and older MacPro 1,1

Sincera then the computer worked well but i felt that i wasn't the administrator user ...

I mean i.e. When i downloaded firefox 4, i couldn't install it on app folder because i wasn't allowed to make changes in that folder...

In other way i could made anotare installations....

I really don't understand...

So by the firefox trouble i click right Button on app folder and turn my user permission to write and read...

I SEEMS that WORKED...

So i moved UP to HD folder and try to make the same... I made a mistake (never do that quickly .....) i made "owner" the SYSTEM...

then the machine starts a process telling me tones of errors...

I switched off it and since then it DOES not boot...

I got the gray screen with the Apple icon and thinking bars gif....

WHAT CAN I DO???

COULD ANYONE HELP ME??

THanks a lot

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 1:50 PM

I would do a total clean erase and fresh install of OS X on another hard drive

Did you use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant when you setup your Mac?

Use something like SuperDuper to keep a working bootable backup of your system too. And use that before you make changes or updates.

Might want to copy your home account folder to another drive also.

When ownership and permissions don't work, getting them to work, may be able to just do a reinistall of 10.6.x off your OS X DVD that came with the Mac (you need that disc rather than retail).

You should be running 10.6.7 at this point.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2011 1:50 PM in response to mojopicon

I would do a total clean erase and fresh install of OS X on another hard drive

Did you use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant when you setup your Mac?

Use something like SuperDuper to keep a working bootable backup of your system too. And use that before you make changes or updates.

Might want to copy your home account folder to another drive also.

When ownership and permissions don't work, getting them to work, may be able to just do a reinistall of 10.6.x off your OS X DVD that came with the Mac (you need that disc rather than retail).

You should be running 10.6.7 at this point.

Apr 17, 2011 2:05 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks a lot

Yes i used the assistant...

So now what i do???

I mean i have to install a New HD and then install Mac osx on it??

So i don't SANT to lose information as Mail Photos and some files could i restore it??

And by the end... It could be silly question so.. How can install anything right Now?? I mean when i boot the machine i can't open the súper drive...

Apr 17, 2011 2:40 PM in response to mojopicon

There are four drive bays.

You probably had some from before. Hopefully. And some people just tried booting their OLD Mac Pro boot drive in their new model.

Minimum two backup sets should already be in place and a must.

If you have more troble than that....

pull your drive(s) and boot from OS X DVD

still trouble?

hold down 'd' with that DVD and run Apple Hardware Test.

Instead of a quick fix, the fast easy way is to do a clean install.

And so you don't have to erase or anything else just pull your drive and slap in a new drive in one of the drive bays. Drives are cheap, fast, and a user upgrade part.

User preferences no boot...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.