10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2011 6:34 AM by Rob Tholemeier
Bob Jacobson Level 1 Level 1

This is another example of that new breed of designer, the "interaction" designer, breaking what was fixed.

The Apple Forums worked fine.  Easy to use, comfortable to navigate, friendly among the participants.

Now we have this redesign foisted on us.  It's reminiscent of another bogus effort at "improving" things, Skype 5.0 for the Mac which lost Skype about 3/4 of its Mac users. I never use 5.0.

These Communities are not that awful, but the HUGE type everywhere and all the community "features" make me think of Facebook for the iPhone.

C'mon, give us users a break!  Put the designers to work fixing things that need fixing, not adapting trendy "designs" to useful online features that will be seen to be passé within a very short time.  Thank you.

Solved by Bob Jacobson on Apr 17, 2011 1:51 PM Solved

How about consulting the users in the first place?  Isn't that the essence of a community?

Reply by Rob Tholemeier on Apr 19, 2011 6:34 AM Helpful

I agree. There is something HUGE and white-spacey about the new format. I really liked the old layout.

Just look at the white space between the actual comment and the "Like". Total waste.

I agree also on skype. With the old version you could tuck the window in a corner of the screen.

Same reason I use adium instead of iChat.

All replies

• etresoft Level 7 Level 7

Bob Jacobson wrote:

Put the designers to work fixing things that need fixing, not adapting trendy "designs" to useful online features that will be seen to be passé within a very short time. 

How do you know they haven't been spending the past year doing just that?

I think the overall design was mostly inherited from the basic Jive software. It may not be ideal but it has been officially judged to be "good enough".

When doing big upgrades like this, the most important part is to get the new site up and running and meeting basic security and usage requirements. It is better to get it running, deliver, then fix it than to try to continually refine something that hasn't been delivered yet. The initial rollout phase (now) can be painful for a while.

• Bob Jacobson Level 1 Level 1

It was explained elsewhere, this is softening us up -- or dumbing down the Forums -- to get us ready for iOS.

Always a buck to be made behind every alleged improvement.

How about consulting the users in the first place?  Isn't that the essence of a community?

That sounds more like misinformation than explanation. In fact, the new Apple Support Communities doesn't even work that well on iOS.

One thing is for sure - Apple Support Communities is not a profit center for Apple.

How do you know they haven't been doing that for a long time? Apple always does focus groups and beta tests - they just ask the participants to keep quiet about it.

Know anyone who was consulted?

• Meg St._Clair Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Bob Jacobson wrote:

Know anyone who was consulted?

Yes.

Well, that's definitive.  By any chance were they designers?  And iPhone users?

My point wasn't that the Communities are a moneymaker for Apple, only that they in this way serve the migration of the user base from Leopard and Snow Leopard to Lion.  There is serious dough to be made in primary, secondary, and tertiary markets for Lion enabled products, applications, and solutons.

• Rob Tholemeier Level 1 Level 1

I agree. There is something HUGE and white-spacey about the new format. I really liked the old layout.

Just look at the white space between the actual comment and the "Like". Total waste.

I agree also on skype. With the old version you could tuck the window in a corner of the screen.

Same reason I use adium instead of iChat.