Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my verizon iPhone is not compatible with the bluetooth in my car. before purchasing it verizon told me it would be. is there an adaptor that I can purchase. car is a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. Thanks

My Verizon iPhone is not compatible with the bluetooth in my car, a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. I was told by the Verizon rep, prior to purchasing, that it would be. Is there an adaptor I can purchase for use in the car? The phone is useless to me in the car.

iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 2:28 PM

11 replies

May 4, 2012 8:06 PM in response to phyllis12bklyn

My iPhone is also no longer compatible with the Bluetooth in my 2011 Hyundai sonata nor my husband's 2010 Hyundai Tuscon even though it worked perfectly for several months, it just suddenly stopped working about a week ago. When a call is placed it automatically goes to private mode, disabling the handsfree capability & there is, no way to return to handsfree mode. I even brought my car to the service center at my local Hyundai dealership & was told that due to the latest security release by apple, iPhones are no longer compatible with Hyundai Bluetooth navigation systems. They told me tHat Hyundai "would notify me" when a fix was developed & available. Very frustrating!

May 5, 2012 6:33 AM in response to phyllis12bklyn

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Nothing has changed with the bluetooth in your car or the bluetooth in the device. There are no adaptors.

If you want help, stop being so dense. What is the problem, be specific.

What have you tried to resolve the issue?

Basic troubleshooting from the User's Guide is reset, restart, restore (first from backup then as new). Has any of this been tried?

May 7, 2012 8:28 AM in response to diesel vdub

I've actually tried several of the things you mention, with no success. I deleted my phone and re-paired it several times and that didn't resolve the issue. I restored the factory settings in my car, that didn't work. Each time the phone successfully pairs and my contacts are uploaded, but when a call is placed, it automatically goes into PRIVATE MODE, thus deactivating the handsfree (bluetooth) capability. I also paired the phone in my husband's Tuscon (where it hadn't previously been paired). It was successfully paired, but the handsfree mode is still inoperable (same exact issue occurs). His phone (a Droid) works fine and does not have this issue. It works in his Tuscon, and in my Sonata as well. The issue is definitely with the iphone.

After trying all of these things, I then took my car to my local Hyundai dealership. There, I was told that they were aware of several others who had been experiencing issues with the iphone specifically....that apparently a rececent security release from Apple had made the iphone incompatible with Hyundai bluetooth navigation systems, and that they were currently working on a fix/upgrade but couldn't tell me when that would be available. And that they were sorry, but there was nothing else they could do.

I'm open to any and all advice.

May 7, 2012 10:06 AM in response to jzanna13

jzanna13 wrote:

I even brought my car to the service center at my local Hyundai dealership & was told that due to the latest security release by apple, iPhones are no longer compatible with Hyundai Bluetooth navigation systems

That's pure bunk. The dealer either a) doesn't know what they're talking about, or b) wanted you to go away.

Delete the pairing from both the phone and the car.

Re-boot the phone.

Reboot the nav system.

Re pair them.

May 7, 2012 11:07 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you KiltedTim! You are right, it was PURE BUNK and I have no doubt the crew at the dealership is both clueless and just wanted me to go away. Hyundai is going to be receiving some negative feedback from this loyal customer.

I just went out to my car in my office parking lot and followed your instructions above, in that exact order....And the handsfree capability was successfully restored for the first time in 2.5 weeks! When I first read your response, my first reaction was to reply that I had already tried that...I had deleted the pairings from both the phone and the car, I had rebooted the nav system, and I had re-paired everything. However, the missing piece was that I hadn't also rebooted my iphone! Once I also did that, and in the order you specified, all is well.

Thanks again!!

May 7, 2012 11:16 AM in response to jzanna13

Glad you got it fixed! I hate car dealers. No matter what brand, they are pretty much worthless in my opinion. They only serve to deliver the car for me and provide warranty service if and when I need it. The dealer I got my Kia from has been OK in that regard so far. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't actually need to use them for anything in the foreseeable future.

May 7, 2012 11:48 AM in response to KiltedTim

I agree. I stay away from car dealers until I have to deal with them (there was a recall on a part, and that's why I had to bring my car in anyway). The thing that really bugs me about this is that they flat out lied to me. I don't expect these technicians and mechanics to know everything about how every phone on the market interacts with their navigation systems - but at the very least, just admit you do not know the answer, and tell me that I need to contact Apple (or whoever my phone manufacturer or service provider is). Don't feed me a line of bull that my phone is now incompatible and that Hyundai "is working on a fix". Ugh. In any case, thanks again for your help.

my verizon iPhone is not compatible with the bluetooth in my car. before purchasing it verizon told me it would be. is there an adaptor that I can purchase. car is a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.