Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive won't mount after update

My LaCie USB hard drive will not mount or show up in the disk utility or hardware listing. The drive was attached when the last update ran but has not worked since. Clearing pram did not make any difference. The Drive is FAT32 and does show up on Windows machines but will no longer show up on my mackbook pro, os 10.6.7.

Any suggestions welcome.

thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 4:57 PM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2011 5:55 AM in response to omaether

Well, Clearing PRAM on the laptop did not make any difference. Trying another device's power supply didn't either, though I'm not sure the drive wasn't still using USB power anyway.

Is there any way in terminal or any system tool to just wipe the MBP's records of prior disks?

Is there a particular file it wrote onto the drive that I could delete and force it to show again?

The drive works OK on different Windows machines, there must be a way to get the macbook to see it again...

Before that ill fated morning, it had been attachend, mounted and working the night before (I'd also let automatic updates run that night as I recall) and in the morning it did not show on the desktop so I thought it had been ejected and detatched on it's own, and I unplugged it.

I can't be the first to encounter this but so far haven't found the answer in here yet.

Any ideas?

Apr 20, 2011 6:37 PM in response to omaether

I really want to know how to fix this on my own. If you know please do post, it seems the LaCie disk just unmounts itself from time to time.

What I did

- ran defrag on the the disk from Windows

- begged a neighbor and connected the drive to his machine, waited for it to fully scan and the disk finish reading and light stop flashing

- reconnected to my own MBP and it came up.

I'm not sure the defrag was a factor.

I'm glad it's back, but do not trust it. This if the first experience of anything unreliable in my MBP, I don't like it but must shuttle between Windows for work.

So if you do know how to fix this without a second MAC please let us know.

appreciate all the help and keeping my fingers crossed.

May 1, 2011 8:03 AM in response to omaether

Seems if I always use the same USB port and connect directly without a cable it works best. From your earlier post, it might have something to do with power. Will post anything more I find out, but connecting to another MAC when it goes invisible and this manner of connecting it has worked so far.

thank you again.

Hard drive won't mount after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.