Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting problem with baseball averages

Please help. I am new to iworks and am learning as I go. Overall I really just love it. Here is the proect that I am working on: I am doing a spreadsheet with the statistics for my son's baseball team. The spreadsheet looks really great. What I have is the following: individual averages for each player, and at the bottow of the row of averages, the overall team average.

The problem is that when I try to sort the row decending averages, the row does show the highest to the lowest average, but instead of leaving the team average at the very bottom, it is placing it within the individual team averages. So if the team average is .263, then the team average may end up between an average for a child of .300 and another with .250. How do I correct this so that the team average remains at the very bottom?

Also, the Averages display as 0.333. How do I get rid of the 0 in front of the .3?

thanks!!

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 5:42 PM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2011 11:10 PM in response to Docal97

Hi Docal,

Place the AVERAGE formula into a Footer Row. Header and Footer Rows are not included in sorts.

The leading zero on the averages, although not in line with baseball practices, is mathematically correct notation.

You can eliminate it by setting a custom format for cells in that column.

User uploaded file

Drag the Decimals element to the format box, select it, and press the up arrow key to add a third decimal place.

Then, click the Integers Element placed in the box by default and press delete to delete it.

These steps have been completed in the illustration.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 18, 2011 7:46 PM in response to Docal97

Sorry, missed that part. Go back to the Custom format setting and Click the triangle at the right end of the Decimals element to open a menu. Choose "Show trailing zeroes."

Regarding printing:

Numbers prints what you see.

Select the cells that you want to have no visible borders.

Use the buttons in the Format bar or in the Table Inspector to do one of the following:

• Set the Border Style to "None"

• Leave the border style as is, but change the Border Colour to match the background colour.

The two methods have sightly different effects on the appearance of your document.

I'm not aware of how these settings will affect posts to iWork.com.

Regards,

Barry

Sorting problem with baseball averages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.