Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Drag and drop music into iphone

Everytime i try to drag and drop music from my desktop onto the music area in itunes for my iphone ...it has this Black Cross-out sign it won't let me add any music to anywhere in itunes by dragging and dropping it...Before it let me do it!

Whats wrong 😟

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 6:11 PM

17 replies

Apr 17, 2011 11:36 PM in response to 2012ABC

No you said this "the music area in itunes for my iphone" That is completely different from adding it to your main iTunes library.

Are you sure you have "Music" at the top of the left hand list selected for your main library and NOT the music library of your iPhone?

Because you can't drag music onto the iPhone or into iTunes if your iPhone music library is selected on the left hand column.

And if you are trying to add music to iTunes and it's not working then I would double check to make sure they are encoded in a format that iTunes can understand (i.e. an MP3 and not something funky)

Apr 18, 2011 12:02 AM in response to 2012ABC

Just checking, but did you actually encode/buy/illegally download that file as an MP3 or did you just rename the file by adding the MP3 extension to the end of the file name? Because you can't do that either.

Also, where did the music come from, how was it converted, and does it have DRM attached to it from another music service?

Also, are you able to make a music file in quicktime or garage band and save a mp3 and bring it into iTunes? (I ask because that will tell you if there is something wrong with just those music files or with iTunes itself.)

Apr 15, 2012 1:10 PM in response to 2012ABC

I was just having this problem, I couldn't drag mp3s or playlists into itunes at all (I would just get the black crossed-out circle) even though I did it yesterday. I found that, for me, it was related to whether itunes had been manually opened or automatically popped up.

When I plug my ipod into my computer, and itunes automatically comes up, I can not drag anything into itunes. If I manually open itunes from the start menu, I can drag songs and playlists into itunes.

I have my ipod set to manually manage music. I can open itunes first, then plug in the ipod, and be fine. I can plug in the ipod first, close the itunes that automatically popped up, reopen it from the start menu, and be fine. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, iTunes 10.6.1.7

May 27, 2016 3:04 PM in response to Alexander Hazel

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. It makes one wonder why you insisted n weighing in on this topic if you don't know anything.

iTunes has always had an option to drag songs onto the device. Once the device shows up in iTunes, you could drag a file (or multiple files) into the device. This person asking the question (and myself) can no longer do this and want to know how to return this functionality.

If you don't know the answer, simply do not reply.

Can't Drag and drop music into iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.