Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you center text vertically?

i've looked through everything and i cant seem to figure it out. please help

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 6:22 PM

8 replies

Apr 17, 2011 10:48 PM in response to krisjonesz

Kris,

Putting your text into a Text Box, centering the box, and then choosing the Vertical Alignment Centered icon in the Text inspector will do it. There is no way to automatically center text in the normal Text Layer of a Word Processing template, particularly if you have chosen Widow and Orphan control.

I hope I have read your question correctly.

Jerry

Apr 18, 2011 6:12 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

To me the text will be centred vertically. Horizontal alignment would be when they are on the same horizontal line which text is from the beginning. But you are right that in the Pages User Guide it is called horizontal alignment but I think it is a vertical alignment. What the PUG calls vertical alignment can only be made in a cell, text box or shape. We'll see what the OP says about this.

Aug 20, 2012 10:12 PM in response to krisjonesz

Unfortunately, after a TON of research, and a couple of hours of lost sleep, this is a limitation of the program. In other words, Pages does not do this.

The work around is to create a text box. Pages will horizontally center lines of text there, but not on an entire page.

Now, if you are like me, and need to create an APA style paper, with a cover page, and save it as a word doc, this work around is worthless due to yet another limitation of the program. The text box will not port into word.

I hope this answer saves you a little bit of time going to bed, instead of sitting up half the night looking for a common sense feature that does not exist.😠

Aug 22, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Arvolina

You can easily set type to fit in the middle of a cover page using several techniques, including a page size textbox, Layout breaks or a return with Space Before/After for the Title.

Layout Break will not transfer to Word .doc files because Word lacks this feature, but the rest should work.

Just because Word does it one way, does not mean Pages has to follow suit. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Peter

how do you center text vertically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.