Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it ok to update from iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.3.2 directly?

i am in doubt if this will work but will it be ok? i am now on iOS 4.2.1 and i want to update to 4.3.2. will it be ok?

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 8:11 PM

yeah it will be fine

8 replies

Apr 17, 2011 8:13 PM in response to ikajjake

Yes, it should be fine. There's no requirement for installing intermediate updates except where a new update has a requirement of a minimum installed version. Usually that does not apply in a situation such as yours.

If it isn't possible iTunes should refuse to allow the update or recognize that your device is not eligible.

Oct 14, 2011 8:32 AM in response to Joseph Kriz

Actually that's not true. Apple doesn't make it convinent but you can upgrade to any version of firmware you want.

For example...

The firmware for 4.3.1 is still available from Apple but you have to find the link to download it. Fortunately other people have done the heavy lifting. I like www.iphoneheat.com but I've used other sites too. You just need to verify that you're downloading the file from Apple.com

So for 4.3.1 you'd go here: http://www.iphoneheat.com/2011/03/download-ios-4-3-1-firmware-for-iphone-ipad-ip od-touch-ipsw/ and click the link for your device to down load the firmware.

If you look at the link address for iPod Touch 4G you'll see that the download is comming from Apple.com. Here's the link for the 4.3.1 firmware for the 4G touch.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-0545.20110325.We3Rt/iPod4,1_4.3.1_8G4_Rest ore.ipsw

Here's the file name:

iPod4,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw

If you look at the file name you'll see that the it tells you what device it's intended for (iPod4,1) and the firmare version _4.3.1_

Once you've download the firmware you open iTunes, plug in your touch, go to the Summary page, shift+click the Restore button and then select the file that you've downloaded.

is it ok to update from iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.3.2 directly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.