You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Reader files cause the menu bar & dock to disappear.

Some files that I download from the internet & open in Adobe Reader Version 10.0.2 cause the menu bar & dock to disappear. If I click on the desktop below this Adobe Reader window they reappear, but disappear once again when I click on this Adobe Reader window. It is not Full Screen mode but something else. Any suggestions on how to view these files in the normal manner would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 7:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 1:36 PM

User uploaded file

I followed your suggestion and looked at the Preferences (once again!!) and unchecked the setting that was causing my problem.

Hopefully this thread will help another user.

Thanks so much for your input.

Regards, n m u.

8 replies

Apr 17, 2011 10:28 PM in response to dechamp

The original window opens occupying all but 7/8" of the bottom of the screen. The 3-key combo [command] +[shift] +[L] expands the window down to occupy the whole screen; the 2-key combo [command] +[L] puts it into full screen mode with the blue back/forward arrows at bottom left & escape arrow to the right of them; the 2-key combo [command] +[H] minimizes the window & I see the menu bar, desktop & dock once again.

Apr 18, 2011 9:20 AM in response to n m u

I've never installed Adobe Reader to one of my Mac's since Apple started providing Preview. I use it on PC's, but that's because it's already installed. The constant security issues and bug issues with Adobe products like Reader and Flash have made me try to just ignore that company as much as possible. On the other hand, some PDF's like forms do not work very well in Preview, but I've been able to get around that.

From what I've read, those command key shortcuts are supposed to be toggles and could continue to show pdf documents in one of the formats until you change the setting in the programs preferences. When changed, the documents should continue to show up in whichever view you have chosen.

I found this chart on one of Adobe's support pages.

The following table shows the full-screen keyboard shortcuts.

WindowsMac OS

Ctrl + L activates Full Screen.

Command + L activates Full Screen.

Escape key exits Full Screen.

Escape key exits Full Screen.

Ctrl + 0 shows Fit Page (or full-screen view).

Command + 0 shows Fit Page (or full-screen view).

Ctrl + 1 shows Actual Size. This keyboard command be used while in full-screen mode.

Command + 1 shows Actual Size. This keyboard command can be used while in full-screen mode.

Ctrl + 2 shows Fit Width.

Command + 2 shows Fit Width.

Ctrl + 3 shows Fit Visible. This keyboard command be used while in full-screen mode.

Command + 3 shows Fit Visible. This keyboard command can be used while in full-screen mode.

While in full-screen view, readers can press Ctrl + 4 reflow a document.

While in full-screen view, readers can press Command + 4 to reflow a document.

Adobe Reader files cause the menu bar & dock to disappear.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.