Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages is slowing down, as I add text and text boxes.

I have 300 plus page document, of text, and text boxes, and some pictures. Now, when I start typing, the CPU goes to 20-46% or more for half a minute, with one character typed. Should I limit the project size, split the document, to get pages to run easier? It seems to be getting worse as the project size goes up. Should I be worried? Heavy

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 10:39 PM

HMC,

That's a lot of content in one document, especially considering that you have pictures. In a recent similar topic I suggested that the author try inserting Page Breaks and Section Breaks so that the chains of wrapped text would be more limited in length. That person reported some improvement in responsiveness.

Of course the smaller the overall size of the document, the less chance you would have of the processor bogging down. I think it's good practice to keep each chapter in a separate document until final assembly, but at a minimum, each chapter should be a separate Section.

Jerry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2011 10:39 PM in response to Heavy MC

HMC,

That's a lot of content in one document, especially considering that you have pictures. In a recent similar topic I suggested that the author try inserting Page Breaks and Section Breaks so that the chains of wrapped text would be more limited in length. That person reported some improvement in responsiveness.

Of course the smaller the overall size of the document, the less chance you would have of the processor bogging down. I think it's good practice to keep each chapter in a separate document until final assembly, but at a minimum, each chapter should be a separate Section.

Jerry

Apr 26, 2011 6:50 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry

Thanks. I have the text in 10 - 20 page sections, with section breaks. There are 30 sections.The text boxes are on single pages, as separate sections each, so no run over of text problems seems to occour.

I tried removing hypertext, no result, tried grouping text boxes, no result. Do want to keep the document in one folder, so the TOC and search continue to work on all the pages together.

Maybe some problem with styles?

Before I was having trouble with TOC, but solved it by correcting the red triangle that shows up in styles, if your text isn't yet formatted. Tricky but the TOC works fine now, for all 346 pages.

I'd heard that pages and a mac book pro will design volumes of textbooks. Something in my content is driving the cpu into over activity.

HMC

Apr 28, 2011 11:23 AM in response to fruhulda

I have upgraded the DRAM to 4Gig, and have updated to snow leopard 10.6.7. System memory is now 1.68GB free with Pages opened.

(Using 08 Mac Book Pro 2.5 Ghz core 2 Duo)

The Snow Leopard update greatly lowered the amount of memory that Pages was consuming, from 900 MB down to 475 MB real memory. The system memory is now around 1.66GB with pages and safari open.

However, the CPU still goes to 40-50% when typing.

HMC

Message was edited by: Heavy MC

Apr 28, 2011 11:23 AM in response to Heavy MC

I suggest that for composition, you don't work in the large document, rather work in a small "Chapter Editor"-size. As you finish a chapter, you can Paste its Section/Pages thumbnails into the main document. Your processor load should be more like 10% in a small document. While you're at it, keep each chapter in a separate file for backup.

Jerry

Pages is slowing down, as I add text and text boxes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.