Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to avoid huge roaming charges in Europe?

I'm going to Europe with a 1st generation AT&T iPad, and would like to avoid the huge surprise roaming fees I've heard about, so I figured I'd use Wi-Fi only. Is it enough just to use airplane mode only, or do I also have to go into Settings:Cellular Data and change things there, too?

iPad, iOS 4.3.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 9:40 PM

5 replies

Apr 17, 2011 9:52 PM in response to Roger Barre

Airplane mode should be sufficient, it turns off all the radios. You can turn wifi on in airplane mode, all other radios stay off. The seperate cellular data settings are more for the iPhone, where you might want to make a call, but not pay exorbitant fees to download your email.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to use belt and braces; roaming fees are very expensive!

Apr 18, 2011 10:11 AM in response to Roger Barre

I am in Florence Italy and relying on my iPad now. This is my strategy.

First, I replaced the iPad simcard with an Italian prepaid card. I am using tre.it. I have 3g with a set price and no AT&T charges. Cards are sold in Europe from other cell phone companies as well. You may be able to order one from the US if you have time. I bought mine in Italy. Second, download maps. This way you can navigate and use your GPS offline. I am using CityMaps2Go. Several options are available at the app store. Third, download city guides. Who carry all those books? Fourth, download audio tours. Rick Steves is a good start. Fourth, sign up for VOIP. I use Truphone. Call home cheaply. To summarize, the iPad is wonderful for a European trip using both 3g and WiFi.

How to avoid huge roaming charges in Europe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.