Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Isn't it necessary to use antivirus software on my Mac

Everybody tells me that antivirus software isn't necessary on a Mac - is that really correct ??

IMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 11:26 PM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2011 12:04 AM in response to Mac'en

Hi-

As long as Windows is not installed on a Mac then anti Virus software isn't really necessary in the traditional sense.

The main thing that one might worry about in OS X is spyware, which is easily detected and isolated using the freeware ClamXav.

Clam also detects and isolates any virus (0), trojan (1 or 2), worm (?), or other nasty that may have ever existed for OS X, but mostly keeps the system free of Windows malware that may be passed through email and such to your Windows using friends..

IF you use Windows on your Mac, use proper anti Virus software and precautions.

Apr 18, 2011 7:06 AM in response to Mac'en

The most common reason for "AV" is to insure that you don't pass along email or files to PC users. Phishing and such are probably an issue if they can convince you they look real and you click on a link and go to a fraud site.

There are fake AV malware, the web and social media are popular for adware/malware too.

AV can mean something specific or some people use term to mean any malware, trojan, WORM, etc and not just "virus."

So even Flash on a Mac or other plug-ins are always going to be a concern.

Backups, common sense, check for security updates.

Apr 18, 2011 7:10 AM in response to Mac'en

At some point, it may well be. But currently there is very little malware out there for Macs. Providing you take reasonable precautions (make sure your router has a firewall, and that your passwords aren't blank or something like "password") you should be safe.

I've used Macs (as well as PC's) professionally since the late 1980's, and "made the switch" to Mac full time for my personal and professional machines 8 years ago. In that time, I've never had a problem with a virus on any of my machines.

If you want to take some kind of precaution anyways, you may want to check out MacScan, which covers viruses and malware/spyware.

Apr 19, 2011 9:25 PM in response to mwpad

Yes, macro viruses. But you should be running ClamXav on any Windows files anyway to clear the junk off.

Just use the free LibreOffice suite, reads and writes Office files, cross platform, makes PDF's.

This way in case you come acorss a Office malware it doesn't even have a chance as your using a different program.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

You shoudl run Firefox as your web browser instead of Safari or Internet Exploder.

Install the add-ons, NoScript, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, Ad Block Plus, Click&Clean and if you going blind like me NoSquint. Also it's a good idea to install HTTPS Everywhere from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, it requests a secure session on every web site you visit. Natrually not all can comply and switch you over to standard http, but a lot are doing so beause of the demand.

A encrypted web is a secure and private web.

Isn't it necessary to use antivirus software on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.