Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

checking multiple files for file size

hi there..

some times when i have lots of files i want to be able to right click it and click on get info to check file size of all the file but when i do that i get loads of windows open up to tell me the file size of each file, is there any way i can change that? with out having to put it all in a folder and right click on the folder

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 6:58 AM

instead of command-i to get info, use command-alt-i

so, you can select your multiple file and do that. Note that this window is updated in live, so, if you deselect a file, it will automatically be updated.

8 replies

Apr 18, 2011 8:10 AM in response to Matam

I've been using the Inspector instead of the normal Get Info for a while, but do you happen to know if there was a OS release that changed the behavior of Get Info on multiple files? I could have sworn that Macintosh used to open a summarized Get Info panel when you did that, and now it just opens one for each file.

Apr 18, 2011 9:23 AM in response to ryan42

well, to be more precise.

1. command-i -> "simple-normal" get info (static) -> if you do that on multiple files, it'll be one window/file
  2. command-ctrl-i -> "simple-normal" get info for multiple file (static) -> if you do that on multiple file, it'll be one for all the files
  3. command-alt-i -> "inspector" get info (multiple, single, whatever, as it's dynamic)

So, all the behaviors are still in there, but, maybe you're right, i mean, i have some memories where the point 2 was the default one (afaik, it was maybe in pre-X systems)

Still, always think of the modifies (ctrl and alt), they often brings to the light some variation on the usual shortcut behaviors 🙂

To have a clear view on this, click on a menu, a try with alt, with ctrl, and you'll see how it change the behaviors (in this case, clic on the "file" menu (a short time, so it's still active), then press alt, or ctrl . It's sometimes surprising to see how much useful shortcut are discovered in that way.

User uploaded file

checking multiple files for file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.