Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the macbook pro(mid 2010 version) support sata 3 port?

Hi support

going to change the SSD for my macbook pro. but the SSD is SATA3 port.so just wanna check does the macbook pro(mid 2010 version) support sata 3 port?

thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 7:46 AM

SATA plugs are compatible between versions, so the ports definitely will work. The Mac Pro only has SATA 2 support (3.0GB/s transfer), but you can install SATA 3 (6.0GB/s) drives. They'll only deliver SATA 2 performance, but they'll definitely work. I have two SATA 3 HDD's in my 2009 era Mac Pro now, everything works fine.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2011 7:46 AM in response to kukubird

SATA plugs are compatible between versions, so the ports definitely will work. The Mac Pro only has SATA 2 support (3.0GB/s transfer), but you can install SATA 3 (6.0GB/s) drives. They'll only deliver SATA 2 performance, but they'll definitely work. I have two SATA 3 HDD's in my 2009 era Mac Pro now, everything works fine.

Apr 18, 2011 7:52 AM in response to trilobyte

Sorry, misread the question as a Mac Pro, and not MacBook Pro issue. The answer for internal drives is still the same. If you wanted to replace the internal drive with another (larger capacity or faster RPM) drive, you could put a SATA3 drive in there and it'll work fine.

If you want to add an external SATA3 drive, you could do that too. If your MBP is the 17 inch machine, you can add an ESATA card that supports SATA3. Otherwise, you'd add a SATA3 drive through any number of USB or firewire hard drives, but their performance would max out at the speed of the interface. Hope that helps!

does the macbook pro(mid 2010 version) support sata 3 port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.