Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Events a mess after splitting and adjusting time.(iphoto '11)

My most recent event is such a mess I don't really know where to start without writing an essay, in the hope that it's been seen before I'll be breif but am willing to expand and provide screenshots etc if it will help.

Basically, I've duplicated the contents of the event twice and ended up with 3 events called 'original', '16:9' and '4:3' (hopefully no explanation needed).

So the first thing I notice is when I click on any of these events, all 3 are shown in list view (with the collapsable arrows) but only one of the events will actually display the photos despite the others saying that they have the correct number of photos.

I'm wondering if this is now how iPhoto 11 works, if it is fair enough, I haven't actually split events like this before in this version) and if it is can I delete the two events that don't show photos without affecting the third event, I haven't tried so far just in case.

But it gets worse, I've collected together photos other people have taken and adjusted the time so they display in order, now instead of all all my photos being listed in one of the events I have a few in each and no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to regroup them except by highlighting all 3 events and opening them together.

My issue is compounded because I have a lot of photos in this event(s) and the more I try to move them around the more complicated it is to keep track of them.

MP 2 x QC Xeon 3 Ghz, 12 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 8:47 AM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2011 8:52 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Events are designed to be basic and automated organisation. You'll have a whole lot less work if you make an album of the photos, and then you can drag them into whatever organisation you want.

Other than that: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

Regards

TD

Apr 18, 2011 9:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

Events are designed to be basic and automated organisation. You'll have a whole lot less work if you make an album of the photos, and then you can drag them into whatever organisation you want.

Until now, I've used events to hold all of the photos from a shoot and created albums from a selection of those photos, are you suggesting this as a solution to this particular issue or as a change to the routine I've always used.

Other than that: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

I should have said, I've already tried rebuilding the library, it didn't help and I ended up with an event with no photos and no apparent way to delete it.

Apr 18, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

How did you duplicate the photos in the original event and then create a new separate event with those duplicates?

cmd-D to duplicate, select the second photo (I sort by date, so the second photo is the duplicate of the first), split event, (this moves all but the first photo into a new event), manually select all the originals in the new event and drag them into the first event.

When you open one of the events with no photos do you see any thumbnail windows, although blank?

No. Unfortunately I've been doing a little more fiddling so can't post a proper screenshot but using the one below as an example:

User uploaded file

Click to enlarge

You will see the numbers of photos don't add up.

By way of example:

Three events (original, 16:9 & 4:3)

By selecting 'original' from the main event window I get what you see, it's as though I'd selected all three events before double clicking but didn't.

By selecting '16:9' from the main event window, all 3 events will open again in list view, in this view the 'originals' heading has the other 86 photos/thumbs in, the '16:9' heading has the other 86 photos/thumbs in, and the '4:3' heading has 1 photo/thumb in.

By selecting '4:3' from the main event window, all 3 events will open again in list view, in this view the 'originals' heading has no photos/thumbs in, the '16:9' heading has has no photos/thumbs in, and the '4:3' heading has 1 photo/thumb in.

If I do select all 3 events in the main event window and double click, I get all three headings with all the photos/thumbs in.

That was up until a moment or two ago, now if I repeat the action in coloured text, I don't get headings for events that don't show any photos.

Apr 18, 2011 7:08 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Sir Winston:

How did you add the photo to your last post so as to get it to open in a new window full size? Been trying to figure that out and all I get is the photo to open in a popup.

Now back to the problem. That shouldn't have created those empty events. Create a new, test library, import some photos and see if you can duplicate the problem. If you can't then the issue is with the current library.

Events a mess after splitting and adjusting time.(iphoto '11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.