Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i draw color onto a photo?

Lets say i have a picture of a black car... i want to draw some flames onto the side. How do i draw color onto a photo with Aperture???

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:33 PM

Aperture doen't have that ability. That is something you would want Photoshop for.

6 replies

May 11, 2013 6:45 AM in response to shuttersp33d

What you can do is write / draw on the active photos using the Dodge (lighten) or Burn (darken) feature. Look up "dodge" or "burn" under help. . . here is the help for "dodge":

1. Select a photo.

2. Do one of the following:

3. In the Adjustments inspector or the Adjustments pane of the Inspector HUD, choose Quick Brushes > Dodge (Lighten) from the Add Adjustment pop-up menu.

4. In the tool strip, choose Dodge (Lighten) from the Quick Brush pop-up menu (with a brush icon).

5. The Dodge Brush HUD appears, and the Dodge adjustment controls appear in the Adjustments inspector and the Adjustments pane of the Inspector HUD, if both are shown.

6. Specify the brush stroke settings using the controls in the Dodge Brush HUD.

7. For more information about the controls in the Brush HUD, see Working with Controls in the Brush HUD. For more information about applying brush strokes to an image, see Working with Brush Strokes.

8. Brush the adjustment on the area of the image you want to lighten.

9. The image appears lighter where the Dodge Quick Brush adjustment is applied.

For step 6. above, I would make the:

- brush size not too small that I can't see what is written / drawn on the photo eg. 20 (10 is small, 30 is big brush strokes)

- strength of 1 (the lower the number, the more translucent / less effect of the burn or dodge feature)

Another thing you can do is download this excellent plugin: http://www.iborderfx.com/borderfx/

This allows you to add borders and text etc to the photo. . . see the youtube video on how to use this free plug-in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPB0r0TTcYo

🙂

May 11, 2013 7:16 AM in response to mdy

The Dodge & Burn will only change the intensity, not color. If you want the flames to be orange you need to brush color in.

For example, in this picture I painted the flames of the candles golden, to make them glow and stand out by brushing in a tint using the "Enhance" brick.

User uploaded file

The enhance settings:

User uploaded file

I increased saturation and vibrancy and shifted the tint of "White" to egg yolk yellow.

Regards

LĂ©onie

May 11, 2013 7:21 AM in response to mdy

May 11, 2013 6:45 AM (in response to shuttersp33d)

What you can do is write / draw on the active photos using the Dodge (lighten) or Burn (darken) feature. Look up "dodge" or "burn" under help. . . here is the help for "dodge":

1. Select a photo.

2. Do one of the following:

3. In the Adjustments inspector or the Adjustments pane of the Inspector HUD, choose Quick Brushes > Dodge (Lighten) from the Add Adjustment pop-up menu.

4. In the tool strip, choose Dodge (Lighten) from the Quick Brush pop-up menu (with a brush icon).

5. The Dodge Brush HUD appears, and the Dodge adjustment controls appear in the Adjustments inspector and the Adjustments pane of the Inspector HUD, if both are shown.

6. Specify the brush stroke settings using the controls in the Dodge Brush HUD.

7. For more information about the controls in the Brush HUD, see Working with Controls in the Brush HUD. For more information about applying brush strokes to an image, see Working with Brush Strokes.

8. Brush the adjustment on the area of the image you want to lighten.

9. The image appears lighter where the Dodge Quick Brush adjustment is applied.

For step 6. above, I would make the:

- brush size not too small that I can't see what is written / drawn on the photo eg. 20 (10 is small, 30 is big brush strokes)

- strength of 1 (the lower the number, the more translucent / less effect of the burn or dodge feature)

Another thing you can do is download this excellent plugin: http://www.iborderfx.com/borderfx/

This allows you to add borders and text etc to the photo. . . see the youtube video on how to use this free plug-in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPB0r0TTcYo

🙂

May 11, 2013 7:43 AM in response to léonie

Deftly done ... but the flames were already there. The OP wants to _draw_ flames.

OP: Aperture is best understood as a photographer's workbench for storing, organizing, and developing image files recorded by digital cameras (particularly RAW files). It does not do compositing, which involves combining image files, geometric shapes (including text), and whatnot in the production of new graphic entities. For that you will need a compositor. Photoshop, Pixelmator, and the free GIMP are all good and are regularly recommended.

You can use any compositor as what Aperture calls an "External Editor". Aperture will create a new file of your Image, send it to the external editor, and import the file with any changes you've saved back into your Library. Most Aperturists use Aperture in conjunction with an external editor on which they rely when they need to do compositing.

Aperture: create image files with your light recorder; import, store, organize, develop (make as good as possible); export as new files.

Compositor: combine files, shapes, text, etc. as new graphics files.

HTH.

--Kirby.

How can i draw color onto a photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.