Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My solution to the iPad 2 WiFi disconnect, dropped connections, etc. problem

I've had a Belkin router for the past 6 months. I've never had any issues with the wifi performance, etc., and I have 2 macbook pros, an air, a mini, and an iMac connected to it.

We also have 2 iPhones in our house, and those would have constant connection issues. Then, we bought an iPad 2, which also had the same problems that the iPhones had... namely: it would disconnect from the internet every 20 minutes or so, or when switching rapidly between apps, etc.

It would lose the connection to our wifi, yet the wifi signal at the top of the ipad 2 would show full wifi bars. To get it working, i would activate and deactivate airplane mode, essentially forcing a re-synch/re-log of the wifi. This was simply unnaceptable, and I got tired of waiting for Apple to fix it.

After a solid month of troubleshooting and research, it is apparent there is something "wrong" with the way iOS devices handle the network stack when connecting to wifi routers, or more precicely, resuming a wifi connection after the initial binding. The only way to describe it in non-technical terms is that the iPhone 4, and in particular the iPad 2, are very "picky" about which routers they will work flawlessly with.

I've narrowed it down to 2 routers that seem to fit the bill for working flawlessly:

The D-Link DIR-655, and the latest Apple Airport Extreme.

I opted for the Apple Aiport Extreme because I liked the dual-band features, as well as the guest network feature, in addition to being able to use wake-on-lan effectively with the rest of my Apple computers, etc.

Ever since I started using the Airport Extreme as my router, I've had ZERO issues with ALL of my devices. It literally fixed everything. Even the throughput for downloading has increased! It really has been wonderful having a perfectly functioning wireless network.

Since I did not specifically try the D-Link DIR-655, I can only personally reccommend the Airprot Extreme, however my research indicates that the D-Link DIR-655 would probably be perfectly fine as well.

I know it ***** that we are essentially forced to buy a different product in order to make all of our iOS devices function as they should, but for the frustrated, this is a low cost for having sanity, and finally being able to use my iPad 2 to the fullest.

I hope this helps somebody, and isn't moderated into extinction. I wish i could have read this thread a month ago and saved myself a lot of time and research.

iPad 2, iPhone 4, iMac i7, MacBook C2D, iOS 4, Always latest Operating System on all products

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:37 PM

18 replies

Apr 20, 2011 8:22 PM in response to smakus

This does help me because I am pondering on wether to buy an airport extreme to solve my ipad 2 connection woes. I have an extremely old router dLink 524....but I have NEVER had any problems with it at all ever. My xbox connected great to it and netflix ran flawless through my xbox.....now I have an ipad2 and an apple tv and they are BOTH having horrible connection problems. I have read most of the forums on how to fix it by changing the settings on my router but since mine is so old I couldn't do some of the suggested solutions. So here I am debating on whether to spend all this $ on an airport extreme? I am just hoping that if I go and purchase this, my connectivity issues problems will go away like yours did. Just wondering if you have ATV as well and if the AE solved its problems? I have read about AE solving ipad2 wifi problems, I'm just hoping it will solve my ATV as well.

**Glad they didn't "moderate into extinction" your post yet, lol, Thank

Apr 21, 2011 12:34 AM in response to zebber28

I don't have an Apple TV, but I do have an xbox with netflix, etc.

Since ATV and the iPad are both using variations of iOS, and probably even have the same kind of network chips, i'm not suprised that both are having problems.

I will tell you that i spent considerable time trying every kind of network setting i could on my current router before buying the AE. Nothing worked for me… its a hardware/software issue with the iPad… it just wouldnt work with my other router.

If you don't want to spend the money on an airport extreme, a cheaper route (that i've heard will work with iPad, etc.) is the D-Link DIR-655.

Specifically that model…. the 655. You can get them online for $80 or so. Maybe try that?

Apr 25, 2011 7:17 PM in response to smakus

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give the AE a try, because my... DIR-655 has been giving me fits with this problem for the past few weeks. It roughly corresponds to the release of the iOS that came out with iPad 2, though we have iPad 1s and iPhones.

I might be able to wait for an iOS release fix, but it's just intolerable in the meantime.

Apr 25, 2011 9:36 PM in response to R Allen Matsumoto

I think you will find that the AE solves your problem. It stinks that we have to go this route, but it really is a rock and hard place kind of situation. The rock being living with broken wifi, and the hard place being waiting for Apple to fix it.

Good luck, and I hope it works for you the way it worked for me. I am going on 2 weeks with absolutely zero issues now, and faster throughput than I've ever had with any other router.

Apr 25, 2011 10:27 PM in response to smakus

I'd like to try to get my dir-655 to work before I drop $160 on another router... What did your research turn up that indicated the dir-655 might be workable? If there is some configuration option I could try, it would sure be appreciated.

This is maddening, I feel like this week I've existed to keep my devices running, instead of the other way around.

Apr 26, 2011 9:48 AM in response to ramatsu

From what I could gather, if you updated the DIR-655 to the latest firmware, that is pretty much all that should be required.

The latest firmware has been reported to solve all problems, regardless of your configuration, etc.

So:

latest firmware

normal DHCP setup

WPA2 encryption, with decently long password

that should be about it....

Apr 26, 2011 12:56 PM in response to smakus

Alas, I guess I'm here to report that it's not always enough. I have this problem in spades using the newest firmware (2.01NA), with the other setting syou mention.

That said, I just turned off all the QOS stuff based on another thread, and short-term results seem promising. Ill check back in in a day or two with results over time.

Apr 26, 2011 2:31 PM in response to ramatsu

This is probably premature because it's only been a few hours, but so far, so good. Both our iPads were pretty frequently dropping wifi signal as recently as this morning (often even asking for our whole long password each time to get back on - sometimes for 10 seconds before being dropped again).

Neither has dropped once that we've noticed in the 4 or 5 hours since I turned off QOS. I have a vague recollection that I might have actually turned that on at some point, and maybe just didn't connect the signal dropping behavior to that change. (I probably was making multiple changes to the network at once.)

If so, and QOS is Off by default on the DIR-655, then that would support the OP's belief that the DIR-655 is a less expensive alternative to the Airport Extreme as a way around this problem. Who-HOO! Oh, unless you're a gamer who really needs QOS on, which thankfully I'm not.

Jul 27, 2011 8:14 AM in response to smakus

I have the latest Airport Extreme, and still get dropping issues.. streaming video from my itunes library on an iMac using Airplay and it drops every 30 minutes - every time... I have to quit the video ipad app, then restart the video app and rebrowse to the shared itunes library.

I have latest versions of IOS, Mac OS, and AP extreme firmware... I've tried moving closer to the AP Extreme, and no luck.

Jul 27, 2011 12:27 PM in response to smakus

Had a Belkin router that had real problems keeping the internet connection for our computers, iPhones, and one iPad. Finally replaced it 2 weeks ago with a NetGear N600 and everything has been rock solid since. The Belkin router was pretty dependable, now that I think about it, until we got new iPhone 4s this past spring. Coulda been the the straw that broke that router's back!

In an experimenbt of sorts, I'm using the old Belkin router in another set up with an iPhone and iPad (just set that up today),. This is a less critical situation where some dropped signals and router reboots won't be big deals, but so far, so good actually. We'll see.

Aug 17, 2011 3:00 AM in response to smakus

Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands.

Since a few days a have problems with my ipad 1 3G/ Wifi. The connection drops every 1--15 seconds after i've opened an app of any sort, but especially ibooks or safari.

I don't think it has anything to do with my router because mobile 3G has the same problem and I didn't have this 'black out's' before. Does anyone have a solution? (or is Apple preparing us to buy the ipad 3 ;-))

Thanks in advance,

Marjon

My solution to the iPad 2 WiFi disconnect, dropped connections, etc. problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.