Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enter hidden SSID in Snow Leopard Server

I am re-installing Snow Leopard Server on a Mac Mini Server (2009) from the recovery disk. I successfully installed, using Remote Installation. However, it did not keep my network settings. The SSID is hidden, so normally, I would select to enter "other network". But, in this case, that option is not showing up. What am I missing?

Mac Mini Server-OTHER, Other OS, Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:45 PM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2011 12:35 PM in response to lisfolks

System Preferences > select (or add) an Airport device (click + at the bottom of the left column) > (ensure the Airport is enabled) > select the Network Name box and choose Join Other Network?

FWIW, hidden SSIDs don't particularly help in terms of network security, because the SSID is broadcast in several other places where most any competent (free) WiFi sniffing tool will find. Consider using WPA2 with a good password, and show a "dumb" or "misdirected" or "dull" SSID for ease of end-user access.

Apr 19, 2011 8:03 PM in response to MrHoffman

Airport was enabled; however, the network name box did not have an option to "Join Other Network". I was very surprised, because I had used Airport to remotely install the OS in the first place, and that box did have the "Join Other Network" option.

I understand that sniffing tools, used by any network-savvy person, can easily find hidden networks. As a matter of fact, most newer network selection software distributed with network card drivers are able to find and display hidden SSIDs. I just like to use the most security I possibly can, and that's one tool at my disposal. Along with WPA2 and a strong key, the hidden SSID keeps my network out of sight and mind of the casual hacker who just wants to see what's out there to pick and poke at. They're most likely to hack at the easily displayed stuff and, hopefully, ignore what they can't see. Again, just one more tool - not the best, but not totally useless, either.

Apr 20, 2011 2:40 PM in response to MrHoffman

I was doing an install from the recovery disks, and it was just at the beginning, setting up the network. There were no Network Preferences, or any other preferences for that matter, to unlock. The window looked like the regular Network Preferences window, minus any the other usual buttons. It was weird...

Anyway, I gave up and just used an Ethernet cable instead and have completed the recovery.

Thanks, all, for attempting to help.

How to enter hidden SSID in Snow Leopard Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.