Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just Discovered 'Your View' Tab!

I've been going crazy reading all the posts here describing all the cool stuff in 'Your View' and for the life of me I couldn't figure it all out.

And now for some reason after, what almost 3 days, I found it. I never bother with the front page. I had the lists I wanted to read and just went to those. I had been Your Stuff and Preferences of course but never paid any attention to the front page.

But the real question is how can there not be a link to Your View from somewhere in Your Stuff or Preferences or anywhere else but that tab on the front page? (and not a very prominent tab at that).

iMac Intel 3.06 GHz 8GB Mem; Macbook5.1 2.4ghz 4GB Mem, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Aperture 3.1.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 2:18 PM

See also: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3004015

John M

11 replies

Apr 19, 2011 3:16 PM in response to Sekoya

The interesting thing here is that Apple has created two different default views of their discussions website, the 'All Content' page and the default configuration of 'Your View'. And they differ noticeably. As it happens I find neither of them great but that is maybe Apple's subtle way of telling us that it also finds neither of them great, otherwise the best view would have been the default for both.

And if they had been identical, there would not have been any reason for this current dichtotomy with these two tabs. The default webpage being served to anybody (particular non-regulars, ie, people not being logged in) would have also been the starting point for any customisation. That would have reduced the confusion somewhat.

The problem with the current solution is a lot of the features of the website are completely hidden, whereas in the old version you had at least pointers to any existing features on the default webpage.

Apr 19, 2011 4:56 PM in response to John Maisey

Yes, I read (watched rather, more images than text) through that. I even went through all tutorials. Did they contain anything that was really new and did not exist already in the old forum apart from briefly covering the widgets? Not really, and thus contributed very little to understanding how the new system works.

And any decently designed 'thing' can be figured out by just playing with it. You learn things much better by trying them out then by reading about them.

And the 'documentation' has errors in it as well: go to 'Your Stuff' -> Discussions, above the list of posts it clearly says: "Below is a list of discussions you have started or have participated in." But this list only contains 'threads' you have started (and pointers to your last post in that thread not to the thread itself or the last post in that thread).

To really understand where you are and how to move around you need a sense of place but that is not described anywhere and the multi-level navigation (tabs + menus + sidemenus) does not make it easier. Here is one attempt at providing that I made two days ago:

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2011 5:55 PM in response to Sekoya

Sekoya wrote:

And any decently designed 'thing' can be figured out by just playing with it. You learn things much better by trying them out then by reading about them.

I agree. I have to say that I didn't read the tutorials in their entirety (mainly because I am finding it as easy to use this site as the old one). My question was more about if/how accessible the information is being conveyed by the tutorials and whether the majority of people not finding the 'features' were not doing so due to lack of information. Following on from what you are saying, I personally see the tutorials as an extension of the 'thing'.

Your diagram is interesting and seems to indicate a three layered structure. I have definitely found myself following a pretty strict sub-set of the paths you indicate. The configurable Your View page has gone a long way to make it easier.

Best wishes

John M

Apr 19, 2011 5:51 PM in response to John Maisey

I have to admit that I gave the How It Works link only a passing glance. The problem with the info there, to me, is that it is aimed at at very beginning user. The little that was mentioned about My View was the last thing there and I bailed before I got to it.

When I first logged into the new site the first things I looked for were the groups that I had been posting to before, mainly the Aperture group, and my account info. My name on the front page was clickable and when I got there it had the preferences and Your Stuff. I could set my TZ, my avatar, email preferences and the groups I was most interested in. There was no indication that there was more and it seemed like everything was covered. If it had not been for the fact that I was posting and reading here and saw the the posts referencing My View I would never have even searched for it.

In hind site I think there should have been something for users from before the change that just explained the differences with the new site. I mean really the How It Works page might be useful to someone who has never been here but Find the right community, Join the discussion. Track the responses., we've all been doing that, no new information there why continue reading?

Email explaining the change could have been set out Friday. Finding out that the site was finally getting the upgrade by trying to log in over the weekend to find the site down was not, imo, the way to go. If the My View page was the intended starting point for established users they could have just set it up so that those with an account already, or those over a certain level got that page to begin with.

Well at least I finally found it. But I do wonder how many others haven't. Now it may not really make much of a difference in the long run, I think the majority of users come here looking for help with one product and one problem they may stick around but there really only interested in a few communities and they can manage that well enough without going into My View.

Apr 19, 2011 5:58 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Email explaining the change could have been set out Friday. Finding out that the site was finally getting the upgrade by trying to log in over the weekend to find the site down was not, imo, the way to go. If the My View page was the intended starting point for established users they could have just set it up so that those with an account already, or those over a certain level got that page to begin with.

I couldn't agree more with that, even if an email was to only users over a certain level.

John M

Apr 19, 2011 7:25 PM in response to John Maisey

There was an announcement on the main page that Apple Discussions would be down for "an extended period" beginning at 9 pm PST on Friday, April 15. I did see a couple of people speculate that it might be the long-announced new format. It said it had something to do with AppleCare, so I was very surprised to see the new format come up on Saturday.

User uploaded file

Just Discovered 'Your View' Tab!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.