Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot locate media files after restore from backup

Let me start with what I think I've done wrong. I had my iTunes media files on an external hard drive that died on me recently. I had the files backed up on Time Machine so I bought a new hard drive and dragged the music folder from Time Machine into new hard drive. (from what I have gathered, this is NOT the way to do it but nonetheless, there it is). Next, I went to iTunes/Preferences/Advanced and changed the iTunes Media folder location to the New Hard Drive containing the copied files. Then, I copied the Users/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library file to the New Hard Drive. Next, I opened iTunes with the Option key and clicked "Choose LIbrary" and selected the iTunes Library I had just placed on the New Hard drive. Then, I went to File/Library/Organize Library/Consolidate Files and clicked Okay. Closed iTunes, reopened it and iTunes still cannot locate any of the files. I am hoping someone will read this and say "Oh no, he's done everything wrong!" and tell what to do next because I am at a loss. Help please!

Thanks,

J

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 4:29 PM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2011 12:07 AM in response to jrc362

try if this script helps:

Music Folder Files Not Added v2.0

This application will list the file paths of the files in your designated "iTunes Media" folder which are not in iTunes' library. Additionally, you can select a different parent folder and its contents will be compared to the iTunes library. Options to Add a selection of found files to iTunes or move them to the Trash.

iTunes cannot locate media files after restore from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.