Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does closing Smart Cover no longer turn off iPad?

I have had my iPad 2 and its Smart Cover for about a week. At first, closing the Smart Cover turned off the iPad, as it should. Yesterday this feature disappeared -- I close the Smart Cover and the iPad stays on. I have looked for settings that might turn this behavior on and off, but cannot find one. Am I overlooking the setting, or is my Smart Cover a lemon?

iPad 2 Smart Cover-OTHER

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 9:01 PM

7 replies

Apr 19, 2011 9:24 PM in response to sheilafrombelmont

Use the cover to lock or unlock iPad: Choose General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock, then tap On. iPad automatically locks and goes to sleep when you close the cover, and then wakes and unlocks when you open the cover.

If that dose not work try a different cover on ur ipad to see if that cover works or not or try ur cover on another ipad 2.

Apr 19, 2011 9:25 PM in response to David M Brewer

Thanks! That does work. At first I thought it didn't, because I didn't hear the little click that indicates that the iPad has turned off. But then I realized that I also had to change the setting Use Side Switch To to Mute and then change its position. I did that and the little click came back.

I had thought locking was different from turning off. I thought that if you locked the iPad 2, then you needed to enter a password to unlock it. That's why I didn't think that iPad Cover Lock/Unlock was the setting I needed to change.

Why does closing Smart Cover no longer turn off iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.