Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently updated to vista service pack 2 and I updated to itunes 10.2.1 and ever since I did that my itunes won't open any more. Itunes starts but before anything loads a window pops up saying that the prograam has encountered a problem and shuts down.

I've tried uninstall/reinstalling it, disabling bonjour and the icuuc40 swap out to the older version but nothing has worked, yesterday I upgraded to 10.2.2 and still nothing. I haven't been able to open itunes for about a month now without it crashing.

Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 6:31 AM

38 replies

Apr 21, 2011 8:01 AM in response to b noir

I never get the option to "click here", basically the first error mesage box pops up saying something like the program has encountered a problem and searching for a solution, the only box to click on the pop up screen is "cancel". If you don't click cancel the next little box that pops up says program has stopped working and the only option I have for a box to click is "close now". Is there something else you'd like me to do to get more details on the error?

Apr 21, 2011 3:30 PM in response to marlenefrommontreal

Ack! Sorry marlene. Of course you're on Vista (as you say so quite clearly) and the click here link doesn't show up in an "iTunes has stopped working" message. It only shows up in the equivalent "iTunes has encountered a problem" message on Windows XP.

On Vista, we're going to have to get the information in a different way.

Head into your Problem Reports and Solutions control panel, and open your problem History. Look for iTunes problem reports generated at the time of the errors. Open up the problem reports and have a look through them.

Do they all say pretty much the same thing? If so, paste the contents of a typical problem report into a reply here so we can have a look.

Apr 22, 2011 6:37 AM in response to b noir

Ok perfect I did what you asked, there are 2 different ones that seem to be occurring but the most recent one is:

roblem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iTunes.exe

Application Version: 10.2.2.12

Application Timestamp: 4da738b4

Fault Module Name: WebKit.dll

Fault Module Version: 5.33.21.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d87e897

Exception Code: c000008e

Exception Offset: 00522669

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

the other on is:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iTunes.exe

Application Version: 10.2.2.12

Application Timestamp: 4da738b4

Fault Module Name: JavaScriptCore.dll

Fault Module Version: 5.33.20.20

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d4d9843

Exception Code: c000008e

Exception Offset: 0008b25a

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: 5613

Additional Information 2: e12041d64bc8903760edd87f9e2a0ba2

Additional Information 3: ddc6

Additional Information 4: 73b34ca1bae9f308beb22e994982729c

Apr 22, 2011 4:48 PM in response to marlenefrommontreal

🙂 Many thanks, marlene.

Both the dlls being mentioned (Webkit.dll and JavaScriptCore.dll) are Apple Application Support program files. (Apple Application Support is where single copies of program files used by multiple different Apple programs are kept.)

Let's try something relatively simple first. Head into your Uninstall a program control panel, select Apple Application Support and click "Repair".

Does the repair install go through okay? If so, does your iTunes start properly now?

Apr 22, 2011 8:02 PM in response to b noir

Ok , I tried to repair the application support, the installation seems to go alright but I found it a little weird that when I click to repair a window pops up, gathers information etc... but then the window just disappears, i.e. I never get another pop up telling me that the program was repaired...I'm not sure if that is normal. Either way Itunes still not working.

btw I really appreciate your help!

Apr 22, 2011 8:13 PM in response to marlenefrommontreal

🙂 No problem. Wish this one was being a bit more tractable, though ...

Ok , I tried to repair the application support, the installation seems to go alright but I found it a little weird that when I click to repair a window pops up, gathers information etc... but then the window just disappears, i.e. I never get another pop up telling me that the program was repaired...I'm not sure if that is normal.

... I don't think that is normal. On XP, we'd get an "installation completed" dialog of some sort. It's been a while since I've done a repair install on a Vista box, but I think we should normally get one then, too.

A little experimental in this context, but I'd like to try the following document:

iTunes for Windows: "Error 7" message when opening iTunes

.NET trouble can cause otherwise mysterious symptoms which reference AAS dlls, so I think it's worth a try here.

If iTunes still isn't working, try another repair install of Apple Application Support. Does it seem to "complete" this time? If so, now try another repair install of iTunes this time.

(The theory with that is that if the .NET trouble is fixed, then the repair installs should get the applications looking in the right place for program files again.)

Apr 23, 2011 6:42 PM in response to marlenefrommontreal

Hmmm.

Rather than a repair install of Apple Application Support, marlene, perhaps try an uninstall of Apple Application Support.

Does it uninstall properly, or do you get an error message? If you get an error message, what does it say?

If it does uninstall properly, we'll try reinstalling it using the "standalone" Apple Application Support instructions I give in the following topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3014393

Does that reinstall go through properly? If so, does iTunes start working again for you?

Apr 23, 2011 7:20 PM in response to b noir

I tried what you said but I was forced to unistall all of itunes to do it, I redownloaded itunes steup, I did the extract here portion, so it split up all the components of itunes in the folder, I reinstalled the application support as well as the itunes and it still didn't work, are there other programs I need to install? the following are the programs I have left that I could install. apple mobile device, software update, bonjour and quicktime, could that be the reason it's not working?

Apr 23, 2011 7:53 PM in response to marlenefrommontreal

I did the extract here portion, so it split up all the components of itunes in the folder, I reinstalled the application support as well as the itunes and it still didn't work, are there other programs I need to install? the following are the programs I have left that I could install. apple mobile device, software update, bonjour and quicktime, could that be the reason it's not working?

yeah, quite possibly the current problem is that the other bits haven't installed. Lets get them in the following way.

Head into Uninstall a program again and uninstall iTunes (but leave Apple Application Support installed.)

Now go to the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe) file (not the folder you extracted from it), and doubleclick that. (That should install all the stuff inside the installer that is missing, and skip the install of Apple Application Support, which is already installed.)

Does the install seem to go through okay? If so, does your iTunes launch properly this time?

Apr 23, 2011 7:54 PM in response to sc2012rebel

I agree with you but in the end microsoft isn't made to be compatable with itunes but I believe I specifically downloaded a version of itunes meant to be compatable with vista, so I blame this one on apple having compatibilities issues and not windows. Hopefully, I'll figure out a way to fix this problem without having to make an investment in windows 7.

I recently updated to vista service pack 2 and I updated to itunes 10.2.1 and ever since I did that my itunes won't open any more. Itunes starts but before anything loads a window pops up saying that the prograam has encountered a problem and shuts down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.