8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 6:28 PM by disfasia
disfasia Level 1 (0 points)

I have all my email in address book and I update my mass email list every few months.  The problem is that not everyone wants to be in my email list so I have them excluded from my list which means updating my list is a bit more onerous--I cannot just cut and paste my entire email list and put it into a new mass email list. 

So here are my questions:

1. how can I update this list without having to do it one by one?

2. is there a way address book automatically excludes  those people who have no email in their contact info?

3. if there is no way to do this in address book, is there a third party software that does this? (ie. that will know which addresses are already present, which are not to be added and so forth)

Thanks in advance!

• captfred Level 7 (26,290 points)

I would create a new "smart group" to define a list of just your criteria.  Then mail to the smart group.  A Smart group is just a dynamic search of your addressbook to include a subset.

So, your smartgroup could read "not contained in exclusion group".   Drag anyone opting out to the exclusion group.

Or it could contain just contacts with "email address contains @" etc.

Many different possiblities.

Regards,

Captfred

• disfasia Level 1 (0 points)

How would I do this? It seems the search function in Address Book is not that complex? 

Thanks.

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,965 points)

Open address book, select >file>new smart group, in the resultant dialog there are 4 fields, Smart Group Name (call it what you like), below that, in the left most field enter 'email', leave the center field at 'contains' and enter an @ sign in the last (rightmost) field. You'll get a folder with the name you chose containing only cards with email addresses.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Cheers!

I notice there is no way to exclude addresses where the business is checked (under the name).  Can anyone think of a way around this?

Thanks!

Just add another condition by pressing the + sign on the right.  "Company"  "is not set".

Screen shot 2011-04-20 at 5.46.39 PM.png

Make sure the it must match "all" conditions.

Regards,

Captfred

Thanks. Yes, I had done that but it doesn't work.  You see, in order to remember someone, I will write their profession or "crazy woman with green hair" to remind me.  BUT I don't check the box for company.  I only check the company box when it is a company and this filter doesn't seem to distinguish between the two.  Any ideas?

Thanks again!

hummm,  Sounds like the rule isn't looking at the check box but a value in the field.  Not knowing the criteria  you need it's hard to give a solution.  Maybe add a field to the template in Address book > preferences > Template tab > example "nickname".   Use that field to seperate the email groups..

Captfred

Thanks so much!

Cheers!