Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with mailing list in mail & address book

I have all my email in address book and I update my mass email list every few months. The problem is that not everyone wants to be in my email list so I have them excluded from my list which means updating my list is a bit more onerous--I cannot just cut and paste my entire email list and put it into a new mass email list.

So here are my questions:

1. how can I update this list without having to do it one by one?

2. is there a way address book automatically excludes those people who have no email in their contact info?

3. if there is no way to do this in address book, is there a third party software that does this? (ie. that will know which addresses are already present, which are not to be added and so forth)

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 7:39 AM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2011 8:41 AM in response to disfasia

I would create a new "smart group" to define a list of just your criteria. Then mail to the smart group. A Smart group is just a dynamic search of your addressbook to include a subset.

So, your smartgroup could read "not contained in exclusion group". Drag anyone opting out to the exclusion group.

Or it could contain just contacts with "email address contains @" etc.

Many different possiblities.

Regards,

Captfred

Apr 20, 2011 12:54 PM in response to disfasia

Open address book, select >file>new smart group, in the resultant dialog there are 4 fields, Smart Group Name (call it what you like), below that, in the left most field enter 'email', leave the center field at 'contains' and enter an @ sign in the last (rightmost) field. You'll get a folder with the name you chose containing only cards with email addresses.

Apr 20, 2011 2:50 PM in response to disfasia

Thanks. Yes, I had done that but it doesn't work. You see, in order to remember someone, I will write their profession or "crazy woman with green hair" to remind me. BUT I don't check the box for company. I only check the company box when it is a company and this filter doesn't seem to distinguish between the two. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

problems with mailing list in mail & address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.