Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I bypass "autorun" when I insert a CD or DVD?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to locate anything on it at the moment. How do I bypass "autorun" when I insert a CD or DVD? There are times I want to insert a disc but I don't want it launcing DVD Player or iTunes. I'm sure there is probably a key-combination that will do this, I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks.

Leslie D. Martin

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 8:14 AM

10 replies

Apr 20, 2011 2:11 PM in response to LDMartin1959

This sounds like a job for Automator! Example:

1. Open Automator. Under "Choose a template…" select Application.

2. From the Actions library double click on Ask for Confirmation. The Message should be something like "Open DVD Player?" beneath that Enter "Click OK to Open Player."

3. Next find action Play DVD. Double click on it.

You should now have something like this:

User uploaded file

4. Do a File > Save as… Call it PlayDVD.

5. Open System Preferences > CDs and DVDs. For the "When you insert a video DVD" option point it to you PlayDVD automator application.

Now when you insert a video DVD you will get this:

User uploaded file

Hit Enter and the DVD player will open. Hit esc and nothing will happen.

Dan

Apr 20, 2011 4:50 PM in response to LDMartin1959

Yes, but you will need to write the script for it! The Apple options mentioned in the answer above usually work quite well. Remember that you are no longer on Windows and will need to become comfortable with the Mac environment and experience. Apple Script offers much in the way of customizing your Mac; Automator is a companion app that makes the approach to Apple scripting very comfortable.

Apr 21, 2011 7:05 AM in response to LDMartin1959

Ask away! The people on this forum are here to help you become familiar and comfortable with your Mac so that you can have the most efficient use from your Apple devices. The Genius Bar is often overwhelmed with tech support issues so this is a good method to receive experienced Mac help in case you are quite distant from an Apple store and/or if your free phone support has expired. There are many ways to accomplish a task or solve a problem on a computer so don't be surprised by seemingly contradictory answers. Different ones have their preferred workflow options set for convenience and you will discover yours in the fullness of time. Enjoy working on your Mac!

How do I bypass "autorun" when I insert a CD or DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.