Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone tracking locations?

Is there any truth to this?

(and will this question be allowed to post?)

TPM article

"It turns out that your iPhone is keeping a record of everywhere you've been since June. This data is stored on your phone (or iPad) and computer, easily available to anyone who gets their hands on it. Why? Apple won't say. We're creeped out."

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 10:41 AM

Yes, see this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3008770?tstart=0

4 replies

Apr 21, 2011 5:32 AM in response to fogharty

I replied to a similar post with my two cents... so thought I'd copy and paste it here.

I'm not saying I agree with this information that is being gathered by our iPhones but this kind of thing is clearly stated in Apple's Privacy Policy. This information that's being recorded by our beloved iPhones is not personal information. Apple even covers circumstances where your personal information may become intertwined with the non-personal information as per the last bullet point.

" We also collect non-personal information − data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:

• We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
  • We also may collect information regarding customer activities on our website, MobileMe service, and iTunes Store and from our other products and services. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide more useful information to our customers and to understand which parts of our website, products, and services are of most interest. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information for the purposes of this Privacy Policy.
  • If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined."

What do they use it for? Besides the above... probably nothing. I don't see why people are so freaked out when there are a million other ways to track your movements

iPhone tracking locations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.