Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu Ray PAL-NTSC Transcode/Encode

Trying to get a 60hz Blu Ray for Festival in the US from a 1920x1080 25p.

The straight-up PAL encode in Compressor send to Toast 10 Pro Authoring w/ HD Plug-In (re-encode never) burn on to the external LaCie (Pioneer!!) BD Drive works like a charm (A little bit of weird Toast Interlacing going on don't know why, but it is MUCH better than the SD cripe compressor usually puts out).

But when I try changing the frame rate to 29.97 things start to go amiss. Final result is uncanny motion blur, especially in shots with a lot of movement - almost as if the fields were getting all messed up. The only thing I touched in Frame Controls was of course the Rate Conversion, set to BEST.

These are the encode settings: (note 66.15 MB is only about a 30 sec test sample I tried - whole 70 minute doc is more like 8.9 gigs)

Name: Blu Ray NTSC VI

Description: Maximize bit rate for duration of source

File Extension: 264

Estimated size: 66.15 MB

Video Encoder

Format: H264

Width: 1920

Height: 1080

Pixel aspect ratio: Square

Crop: None

Padding: Preserve source aspect ratio

(L: 0, T: 0, R: 0, B: 0)

Frame rate: 29.97

Frame Controls On:

Retiming: (Best) High quality Motion Compensated

Resize Filter: Linear Filter

Deinterlace Filter: Fast (Line Averaging)

Adaptive Details: On

Antialias: 0

Detail Level: 0

Field Output: Same as Source

Stream usage: Blu-ray

Multi-pass: On

Average bit rate: 17 (Mbps)

Maximum bit rate: 25 (Mbps)

Any ideas?? Maybe I can just get a US Blu Ray player at B&H and use it for the Festival (not sony) that will play my video at 50hz - Probably the easiest solution, right? I'm not paying a post house 2 grand, no way.

MacBookPro

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 10:03 AM

Are you sure you need at 29.97fps bluray for the festival? Alot of HD systems are framerate agnostic. Check to make sure that you need 29.97 fps from the festival.

That said, the best solution is to use cinema tools to conform your qt to 23.98 fps. this will slow down your qt a very slight amount and shouldn't be noticeable. then most any system will add pulldown to 29.97 if necessary.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Mr. Franks

Are you sure you need at 29.97fps bluray for the festival? Alot of HD systems are framerate agnostic. Check to make sure that you need 29.97 fps from the festival.

That said, the best solution is to use cinema tools to conform your qt to 23.98 fps. this will slow down your qt a very slight amount and shouldn't be noticeable. then most any system will add pulldown to 29.97 if necessary.

Blu Ray PAL-NTSC Transcode/Encode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.