Previous 1 2 3 Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 10:01 AM by Klaus1 Go to original post
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 (34,981 points)

    When you say "wildly inaccurate" did you take into consideration the note in the FAQ that the program is deliberately inaccurate to limit its use for unsavory purposes, and that the information in the file is both more detailied and more accurate?

  • Tamara Level 6 (13,730 points)

    The only reason this made any news is because it is Apple. If it had been Android, Blackberry, etc, it would not have made news at all.

  • Julian Wright Level 7 (34,860 points)
    Apple spies on us.

     

    No they don't. Do a little research before posting and don't believe every sensationalist news story you read:

     

    https://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/3-major-issues-with-the-latest-iph one-tracking-discovery/

  • DavidK2010 Level 2 (160 points)

    A video I watched on You Tube stated 32000 entries in the database!... Is this the reason My Others folder was once 5gb??

  • DavidK2010 Level 2 (160 points)

    Its there for a reason, why would it be there if it wasnt for Apple, maybe not now but in the future??

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 (34,981 points)

    Julian Wright wrote:

     

    Apple spies on us.

     

    No they don't. Do a little research before posting and don't believe every sensationalist news story you read:

     

    https://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/3-major-issues-with-the-latest-iph one-tracking-discovery/

    After reading that link I'm MORE concerned rather than less.

  • Michael Black Level 7 (20,392 points)

    DavidK2010 wrote:

     

    Its there for a reason, why would it be there if it wasnt for Apple, maybe not now but in the future??

     

    My guess would be for the same reason so many web sites plant a tracking cookie on your computer and note every web site you visit - marketing.  Apparently, things like knowing where iPhone and iPad owners frequent is of value to advertisers and marketing/sales folks to target specific demographics with advertisements, promotions, product placement and so on.

     

    Annoying, you bet.  Surprising, not to me, not really (I'd say almost inevitable, and even if no other phone maker has implemented it yet, I don't believe for one second that they all have not thought about doing it, or even have plans to do it in the works).

  • Tamara Level 6 (13,730 points)

    DavidK2010 wrote:

     

    A video I watched on You Tube stated 32000 entries in the database!... Is this the reason My Others folder was once 5gb??

    No. Your Other folder was 5gb because you had corrupted files in it.

  • Kiwiphone4 Level 4 (1,425 points)

    Lawrence Finch wrote:

     

    When you say "wildly inaccurate" did you take into consideration the note in the FAQ

    Yes, I do read things.

    But it was inaccurate beyond that.

    I looked into the file, and it isn't that accurate.

     

    If you opened my iphoto and looked at the photos locations you would be able to track me better.

     

    As for those who claim that Apple is some Big Brother type tracking your life, I do hope you do sell your Apple products. And I hope you don't post here any more.

     

    And out of interest for those with some intellect:

    http://goo.gl/rhsN9

     

    This is just a cache that hasn't gotten cleaned up, rather then some sinister tracking tool.

    I assume Apple will remove this bug with the next iOS update.

     

    Right now I don't have to do a thing as I use and encrypted backup, and I would have far bigger things to worry about if someone stole my laptop or iPhone (like having to restore from backups, and the annoyance of dealing with insurance).

  • RDSRSA6 Level 1 (0 points)

    l

  • blastpepsi Level 1 (5 points)

    pacificblue you are kinda correct. You can secure youre privacy by either splitting up your ip address and using a differnt one (illegal). or use a program to protect you from ip address searches.

  • blastpepsi Level 1 (5 points)

    um if they planted a tracking cookie then that is illegal. also one of the many reasons why you delete youre cookies daily.

  • Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,862 points)

    You do realize, don't you that, a) this thread has been dormant for almost 6 months and b)Apple released a patch that changed the way the information is being stored?

  • ds store Level 7 (30,325 points)

    It's the "More Like This Sidebar"

     

    ASC perhaps not closing the thread after a certain amount of inactivity time has passed, what that time should be is rather debatable.

     

    This is a support site, perhaps if a person clicks to reply to a thread that's over 6 months old it should direct the user to make a new thread and explain their issue and automatically create a link to the old thread in case there is some relevance there?

     

    Something to bring up to the forum gods.

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 (34,981 points)

    ds store wrote:

     

    Something to bring up to the forum gods.

    Done