Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting Miro DC20 Mjpg files to something usable

I have some old quicktime files from back in 1996. They were created on a Power Computing Mac using a MiroMotion DC20 board. Quicktime can play them but I just get the audio, no video. Has anyone had any luck converting these files to something that can be played. They are of my kids when they were really young and I don't want to loose them. I am on a 1.67 G4 running 10.5. I have found a couple converters that I thought might work but they were intel based so no go for me. Any help would sure be appreciated!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 11:29 AM

5 replies

Apr 21, 2011 10:09 AM in response to andrech

Thanks for the help. Didn't work though. Installed the DC30 driver and tried in both QT Pro and FC Express don't have FC Pro. Same thing. Audio is fine but no video. There must be others out there that have these same files, there were not that many capture options out there back in 1996 and Miro was one of the bigger players. Qtime must have supported the codec at one time or supported the driver. The files I have are Qtime files. Frustrating to be sure.

Jun 6, 2011 3:17 PM in response to jmsronan

@jnsronan I have the exact same issue. Had the Power Computing Mac with the Miro DC 20. I backed everything up to CD thinking I was doing just that, only to find out that the codec is needed in order to play the Quicktime file. Very frustrating considering I can hear everything, just can't see it. I was wondering if you had any luck resolving this issue. If a response here is not possible, you can find me on twitter under the same screen name. Thanks.

Jul 14, 2011 6:44 AM in response to jmsronan

I have found an interesting workaround. I open the original file with QuickTime Player (MacOS 10.6 version), save it as a self contained movie (with the .mov extension), then mplayer and VLC are able to play the file even though QuickTime isn't able to.

For some reason, HandBrake has trouble opening the file so I am using ffmpeg to convert the files.

Converting Miro DC20 Mjpg files to something usable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.