Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to ad iPad2 to have data billed to my iPhone (AT

Perhaps I am missing something, but the iPad2 "manual" does not explain how to buy, say a month's worth of data, from AT&T for my 3G connection. I have an iPhone account with AT&T — though calling them and inquiring about this has been like talking to a toad about hydrogen fusion. Any help will be much appreciated. BTW, I do see the cell data section in the Settings menu.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 12:40 PM

27 replies

Apr 20, 2011 12:57 PM in response to enahs

Unfortunately you must sign up for a separate data plan that recurs automatically every month for either 14.99 for 250MB or 25.00 for (2500MB?) something like that. I have requested to AT&T Feedback to allow for per-use data plans that do not recur automatically.

I did this because I signed up and aquired 250MB for 14.99, used some of that and then didn't need the 3G access anymore because my travels were finished. Low and behold, without even using all 250MB (no rollover) I was automatically charged again for another 250MB I did/would not need. I called and got it cancelled and refunded but what a hassle.

I have also read there is a plan with your iPhone to allow internet access through your iPhone for an unreasonable amount of money more per month. (I think 30 or 40 dollars per month more!).

Good Luck!

Apr 20, 2011 1:00 PM in response to enahs

As far as I know, it is not possible to bill iPad 3G charges to a cell phone bill. You will need to activate the 3G data in the iPad settings and you'll get a bill for each month for the data charges until you choose to turn it off again. However, what you may be referring to is a tethering plan on iPhone. This type of data plan would allow you to broadcast your phone's internet connection to your iPad. This way you don't have to have a separate bill for the iPad and the data will be deducted from the amount you receive per month for your iPhone. This can be done on a wifi or 3G iPad. Also adding tethering will require you to switch your data plan so if you have an unlimited grandfathered plan you will lose it. Tethering this way will also make it difficult to only use data on the iPad on certain months because you would have to switch your entire data plan for the months when you want to/don't want to use it.

Apr 20, 2011 2:15 PM in response to applefandan

This is what I am referring to — but how to set it up:

"However, there are many iPad owners who also have an iPhone and chances are they are on AT&T. Those subscribers can now go for the postpaid data plan, which is the same $15 (250MB) and $25 (2GB). The overage fee under this plan is $10 per GB. The real difference being that the data usage will all be added to your carrier bill at the end of the month rather than charged on a credit card."

Apr 20, 2011 2:31 PM in response to enahs

Answer Center

I think this is what you are looking for and yes you can!

Are there different data plan options available for iPad?

• No term commitment
  • No activation fee or other fees
  • No Early Termination Fee (ETF)*
Note: Eligibility for postpaid data service plan based on credit check. A deposit may be required for service activation. Data overage charges apply.

Prepaid Data Plans for iPad
Our AT&T 3G Data Plans for iPad are prepaid data solutions for iPad customers. You can sign up for and manage prepaid data plans directly from your iPad device. No need to come in to a store or call Customer Care for support. To activate prepaid data plans, from the iPad Home screen, select Settings > Cellular Data > Cellular Data Plan.

Apr 20, 2011 5:32 PM in response to enahs

I have tried everything _ including more talk with AT&T locally, in person (not to mention several calls to the Philippines). They were wrong. Now, if I can't get a 3G connection (which I want for travel), then this thing is going back. My credit cards have a PO box billing address. Yet, my iPhone accepted that arrangement (as it is the only place where my mail has been delivered for many years). If the information above is correct (Postpaid Data Plans for iPad and Tablets), just how does one do it? It makes no sense to say this is AT&T and not Apple, for there was no fine print on the 3G connection when I bought the iPad (which is otherwise outstanding). Strange that no one seems to really know how to set this up. BTW, I have logged into my AT&T account and can find no place to sign up for the postpaid plan. BTW, I am doing this for simplicity and to de4al with the PO box issue.

Apr 20, 2011 5:44 PM in response to enahs

It is very easy to set up, log in to your ATT cell phone account, view your profile, add the postpaid data plan service, couldnt be easier my friend. It has no bearing that you have a PO box for a delivery address as do I.

There was no need for fine print on the 3G service, clearly Apple made your phone but you don't get your 3G service from Apple do you? No. If this is really a problem for you, go into your settings on the ipad, turn on cellular data and do the prepaid route, six in one hand, half a dozen in the other, either way will work.

Apr 20, 2011 5:50 PM in response to enahs

This is directly from ATT,

Answer Center

How do I get postpaid data service for iPad or tablet devices?

Apr 20, 2011 6:08 PM in response to enahs

iHam, my friend, AT&T has just told me personally that those plans do not apply to the iPad — my friend. Now, Apple, which I have been supporting since it first appeared, and which I admire greatly, did make my device. And they sold it with an AT&T connection capability — which any court would hold them responsible to make good on. To sign up for the Cellular Data Plan, AT&T will not accept a PO box for credit cards. AT&T has just now just set up my iPad to allow data purchases to appear on my iPhone bill — but now in the Cellular Data setting, I am not able to do anything at all, much less purchase any data! BTW, I did visit an AT&T retail store. They know nothing about anything. Nothing!

Apr 20, 2011 6:21 PM in response to enahs

You confused me a bit:

You said ATT told you the plans dont apply to the ipad then you said ATT just set you up with a data plan?

Also if they just set you up it could take a few hours for it to take effect on your device or in ATT's system.

And the last thing you will ever hear from me is defense of ATT customer service, I find them atrocious, but I would encourage you to ask to speak with a manager or corporate to get your issue resolved as the ipad 2 postpaid data plan is new the local store and many representatives may not be up to date on new practices.

best of luck to you

Apr 20, 2011 6:24 PM in response to enahs

No court in the the US would hold Apple responsible for this - it is not their responsibility to make AT&T accept you. It would be Apple's fault if they sold you an AT&T capable iPad that was not capable of connecting to AT&T. If it is physically capable of connecting to AT&T, then it is your responsibility to be able to live up to the AT&T data plans and conditions.

Apr 20, 2011 6:37 PM in response to enahs

My credit card is officially billed through my PO box and always has been. That's fine with AT&T for the iPhone but not the iPad. iHam, read my entire post: "AT&T has just now just set up my iPad to allow data purchases to appear on my iPhone bill — but now in the Cellular Data setting, I am not able to do anything at all, much less purchase any data!" Turns out, phoning AT&T yet again, I can have a post paid plan billed to my phone account — but the iPad can't be used to buy any data; you have to phone AT&T — which is entirely contrary to what I was told by AT&T. Now, AT&T confirms that they won't take a PO Box for the prepaid data accessed through the iPad. Pogo — better explore product liability. How one gets 3G data access is important, and Apple has leverage. The information is by no means clear on all of this, though it should be.

How to ad iPad2 to have data billed to my iPhone (AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.