Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing Hotmail on an iPad

Just purchased iPad. Able to install Microsoft exchange mail, contacts and calendar, but have been unable to get Hotmail account set-up. Can anybody assist in getting Hotmail account set-up?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 1:17 PM

7 replies

May 4, 2011 12:03 PM in response to Bigkahuna68

You can set up Hotmail as a POP email account, but for full access to your folders, contacts, and calendars you're better off using Exchange/ActiveSync:

POP Email (OK, but missing features - works with older versions of iOS):

• Open the Settings app
  • Choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars
  • Choose Add Account
  • Choose Other
  • Choose Add Mail Account
  • Type your name in the Name field (example: John Doe)
  • Type your full Hotmail account in the Address field (example: jdoe@hotmail.com)
  • Type your Hotmail password in the Password field
  • Type a helpful description (example: "Hotmail account" or "jdoe@hotmail.com")
  • Press the Save button
  • Your iOS device will attempt to verify the settings - providing your WIFI network allows it, you should be set up and ready to go.
  • Note that some WIFI networks won't allow you to send mail using SMTP
  • Plus you don't see anything except your Hotmail inbox - your sent items remain on your iOS device, and aren't synced with Hotmail, and you can't see any folders you've created

Exchange ActiveSync method (waaaaaay better than POP!):

• Open the Settings app
  • Choose Add Account
  • Choose Microsoft Exchange
  • Type your full Hotmail account in the Email field (example: jdoe@hotmail.com)
  • Leave the Domain field blank
  • Type your full Hotmail account in the Username field (example: jdoe@hotmail.com)
  • Press the Next button
  • Once the credentials you entered are verified, type "m.hotmail.com" (without the quotes, of course) in the Server field
  • If everything verifies successfully, you'll get a new screen with three slider switches: Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
  • Turn off Contacts and Calendars if you don't want to sync these with your iOS device
  • You're done - you now have full push email (and optionally Contacts and Calendars) for Hotmail.

May 5, 2011 8:45 AM in response to larraza

I scheduled a support call that evening and when they walked me through the process at home it worked fine for both mine and my wife's hotmail accounts. The support person stated that there had been some connectivity issues because of maintenance on their servers that day. My IT person at work thought it might be related to our firewall, but since have brought iPad2 to office with no connectivity problem. Just followed the instructions in setting up a new account using the Other selection and they seem to work fine. Don't like the fact that syncing doesn't occur with Hotmail like it does with my Exchange account though, especially for my wife's account.

Sep 2, 2011 10:04 AM in response to Julian Daniel

it worked with ex:2 from Julian Daniel, thanks ;o)

Exchange ActiveSync method (waaaaaay better than POP!):

• Open the Settings app
  • Choose Add Account
  • Choose Microsoft Exchange
  • Type your full Hotmail account in the Email field (example:jdoe@hotmail.com)
  • Leave the Domain field blank
  • Type your full Hotmail account in the Username field (example:jdoe@hotmail.com)
  • Press the Next button
  • Once the credentials you entered are verified, type "m.hotmail.com" (without the quotes, of course) in the Server field
  • If everything verifies successfully, you'll get a new screen with three slider switches: Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
  • Turn off Contacts and Calendars if you don't want to sync these with your iOS device
  • You're done - you now have full push email (and optionally Contacts and Calendars) for Hotmail.

installing Hotmail on an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.