Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook keeps logging out and sending back to login screen

My boss brought me his daughters MacBook running 10.6.5 with the following problem. When she logs in, the account takes a long time to login and as soon as it is finished it logs her out and sends her back to the login screen.

I tested and found the same problem. Once the dock and Finder appear, you have like 5 seconds before it kicks you right out.

A few things I did notice:

• When the desktop comes up, it appears to be an active desktop with changing pictures;
  • When the Dock does come up, there are lots of Question Mark icons, one I was able to tell was the System Preferences - but that could just be because it hasn't linked back in the time before it kicks you out.

Other than that, I just cannot stay in there long enough to do or check anything. A few things that I did try doing to troubleshoot:

• I tried booting from an install disk and running Disk Repair and Permission repair, to no avail;
  • I tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM - it did nothing;
  • I tried SAFE BOOT - same thing happened...

If this were any other computer, I would boot in Target Disk mode and backup everything and try to re-install OS X, but since it is a MacBook, there is no FW port...

Anyone know what I can try next or have any ideas or possible solutons?

Thanks.

TGH

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 12:46 PM

1 reply

MacBook keeps logging out and sending back to login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.