Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Destroyed My "My Posts" Widget!!

Based on some advice I read in this section, I edited my "My Posts" widget (if I remember its name correctly). I wanted to see more than a random selection of my previous posts. So I set the count to 20,000, well above the total number of my posts, which is somewhere around 7,200. Now when I select "Your View", that page just spins. On two occasions it finally showed me that page about "discussions will be back soon". Apparently it doesn't scale to handle the number of messages I've posted. Unfortunately, since that page no longer finishes rendering, I can't edit that widget to reduce the number of posts to a value it can handle. How can I fix this? And once I've recovered, how can I set that widget to display a reasonable number of my most recent posts instead of a random selection?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 5:15 PM

17 replies

Apr 20, 2011 5:44 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I fear only the admins will be able to reset that. What I did not mention in my advice was that the My Content in My View does not contain any page breaks, thus it displays everything in one long list (another great idea of whoever designed the new forums). I personally increased numbers slowly hoping that a page break would appear at some point.

You can still try with a cleanest possible start, ie, restart the browser, empty the caches. Or try different browsers and maybe le them sit for several minutes.

Apr 21, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Matt K.

Thanks for responding and for resetting my account. I was hoping that someone with the ability to fix my widget would reply, but wasn't sure how long it would take for that to happen.

To summarize the problems I've seen with that widget:

1) It seems to pull posts in a random manner, instead of the most recent.

2) It displays those posts in a random order, instead of newest first.

3) It doesn't scale well for larger numbers of posts. It should have a paged behavior instead of trying to list all the posts on one page.

I can't find a "My Posts" widget among the choices, either under "Content" or "Places". Is it temporarily gone, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Apr 21, 2011 1:16 PM in response to romad

romad wrote:

If what you're referring to is the Your Content" widget, yes it seems to have been removed.

That's a miserable development! On the old system that was the primary way I monitored my posts for replies, etc. I don't have time to scan all discussions looking for changes to threads where I've contributed. Nor does it make sense for me to bookmark every one of hundreds of posts that I make.

I can ony hope that they removed that widget temporarily while it's being revamped to address the problems I described.

Apr 21, 2011 1:41 PM in response to Matt K.

Matt,

OT:

I ran into a bug that eats up users' ability to change their avatars.

When you delete a user-uploaded avatar it also deletes the placeholder for the avatar as well. Deleting an avatar therefore not only deletes the avatar, but also burns up that spot and the potential to upload a new avatar in the future to it.

For example, if you have 3 available avatar spots, upload an avatar to one of them, then delete that avatar using the delete option underneath it, you're down to 2 open avatar spots. Two more times and you can no longer personalize your avatar.

It seems like you should be able to delete an avatar without deleting its placeholder.

I know you're deluged with the changeover, but figured I'd bring this to your attention if you haven't already made a note of it.

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011 9:01 AM in response to snifflesniffle

snifflesniffle wrote:

I changed the Your Content widget and now use Watch a User widget set to myself. It seems to provide the same functionality.

At first the "Watch a User" widget seemed to be useful. But now I've discovered some flaws: (1) If I remember correctly, I set it to show 200 of my posts. This morning the number of posts had been reset to 5. When I edited the widget today, a notice told me that the number of posts is limited to 100. For me that's not nearly enough. Before the new system I was posting about 10 messages a day. It often takes longer than 10 days for people to reply to my posts. They really need to modify that widget so that it shows pages of posts, like in other areas. (2) There doesn't seem to be any indication of whether I've read anything in the "Watch a User" widget list. In other areas that's indicated by whether a topic is bold or not. I really don't want to view threads again and again just to check something that I've already read.

Destroyed My "My Posts" Widget!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.