Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems w/Automatically Add to iTunes & Permissions in Win7 64

Hi,

I'm having an issue getting my "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder to work. I'm currently encoding a bunch of videos in Handbrake and the completed files are being dumped directly into that folder, but none of them are being moved out. As a result, iTunes keeps adding whatever's in there to the library multiple times. I did a little research and found that the issue may lie with not having proper rights to modify content in that folder. I have encountered this issue before with Windows, so I did what I had done previously, which was to disable UAC and ensure that EVERYONE, SYSTEM and Administrator had full permissions for that folder.

My iTunes Media folder is on an external HDD, and the path (F:\iTunes\iTunes Media) is entered correctly in the Preferences in iTunes. I deleted the other iTunes folder on my C drive. I've never had a problem with the iTunes folder being on an external before. I would love it if someone had a solution to this problem.

Windows 7, iTunes 10.2.2 64 bit

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 8:17 PM

18 replies

Apr 21, 2011 7:24 AM in response to Zachary Prewitt

Another observation: When I set my iTunes folder as the path in preferences, I expected all of my mp3s to start populating in my Library, but they never did. However, I just now dropped a single mp3 into the AATI folder, and it immediatley appeared in the library. Weird.

Actually this is the normal behaviour.

When you set the iTunes media fodler location, it only affects new additions to your library. Old tracks are not moved.

You can copy everything into the new iTunes Media folder using the Consoldate function in library on the File menu.

See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364?viewlocale=en_US

Apr 24, 2011 2:14 PM in response to Zachary Prewitt

I have the same problem

I have used iTunes 64bit in windows 7 for along time and i often drop new videos in the "D:\iTunes Library\Automatically Add to iTunes" folder

how ever recently i noticed my newest vides were showing up mulitmple times in the iTunes Library and that made me notice the files fail to get moved into their corresponding locations

I suspected database corrupction or something of that sort, so i uninstalled itunes, delted all metadata and moved the media files to a different folder. Reinstalled itunes, wich created a new itunes media folder and began moving files to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder again.

I worked quite well for audobooks, books, and mp3 and aac files (we are talking thousands of files)

but it failed for m4v and mp4 files. Some of these are downloaded from itunes U, itunes store and others are my own encodes

it CANNOT be a permission issue because it works for music and fails for video

also, this started to happen sometime around 10.2.1 or 10.2.2 .. never had this problem before, and i use this features all the time.

Hope someone from apple helps

Apr 24, 2011 2:45 PM in response to macDeveloper2010

ok so while typing my previous post, it occured to me that I should try an earlier iTunes version

luckly i had a few previous installers lying around

so I went back to version 10.1.2 for 64-bit windows

and the problem disapeared, so i guess i'm sticking to 10.1.2 until a new version comes and I read somewhere that it fixes this problem

Apr 26, 2011 7:58 AM in response to Zachary Prewitt

Have the exact same problem on a Windows 7 machine. Videos added to 'automatically add to itunes' are being loaded multiple times in 'My Videos', and are not being deleted from the automatically add to itunes folder.

Appears to be a security problem, since the owner of the AATI folder is set at 'unknown' after itunes uses it, but is back to me after rebooting the machine. Don't want to screw with the security settings, since it appears to be an Apple software problem.

Nothing changed except updating itunes. AATI is definately broken, and will try going back to an previous version of itunes.

Problems w/Automatically Add to iTunes & Permissions in Win7 64

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.