Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Realtime Media Files now appear as Macromedia Flash files.

Help sought for a friend...who can no longer access the majority of his years worth of accumulated media files and i'm stumped -

For no known reason, upon restart of a MacBook running 10.4, every single media file that was originally Realtime Player format,

now appears as a "Macromedia Flash (.flv) file. None opens upon icon click.

There was no installation (at least none that my friend initiated) of any new software that would explain the 'conversion.' Meanwhile,

the immediate objective is to restore all of the original-formatting. It appears that only these RealTime files were affected .

Any idea on what can be done to rectify this? As I understand it the Flash app version - is 7. version 10 was uninstalled in

an effort to see if the files would be recognized as Real Player files once again after uninstall and restart.

All YouTube or other downloaded files that were in RealPlayer format are now identified as .flvs, and upon attempting startup of

Real Player for some reason that App crashes and will no longer open.

Ideas?

Thanks alot,

Mike Shepherd

OSX 10.4, 10.5 10.6

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 9:14 AM

maybe you already tried this,

but what happens if you select one of the files in the finder,

do  + I

and in the "open with" section, you pick the application you normally want to use for these files

and click "modify all" just underneath

?

1 reply

All Realtime Media Files now appear as Macromedia Flash files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.