Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set system time from Terminal while booted from 10.6.3 server install disk?

I'm installing from a 10.6.3 server install disc onto a Mac Mini. However, the battery on this Mac Mini is pretty much dead, forcing the system time back to 1/1/2001. Through some research, this has created a problem in that I cannot move beyond the Welcome screen during setup of OS X server. It looks like the binary has issues with the system time being older.

But I'm stuck in that I don't know how to adjust the system time from the Terminal Utility on the boot CD. Can anyone help?

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 7:53 AM

13 replies

Mar 19, 2017 4:21 PM in response to Camelot

Thank you for providing the date/time format, it worked perfectly for me.

I'd just like to add the reason I needed to do this was because the battery had died in a MacBook Air and the time & date had been reset to 2014.

This caused a problem with the online reinstall of Mavericks because the certificates on the apple servers could not be trusted and the install failed due to timeouts and errors.

The time & date of the current certificates would appear to be 'in the future' compared to the local system time & date.

Being connected to the Internet did not auto-update the time & date as expected.

Apr 21, 2011 10:10 AM in response to Camelot

Thanks Camelot! I actually gave that a try this morning, and received an error that the framework resources were not available and that the command was not valid. (I'm paraphrasing) I also tried:

sudo date 1104211137

date 1104211137

$ date 1104211137

Also using those same operators I tried the date format as: 201140211155.00

(I have no idea what I'm doing in the terminal, so I just took those commands based on various Google search results)

I also tried man systemsetup and going that route through those commands, with no success unfortunately.

Nov 26, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Tim Hassett

You need to put full year in if you didnt figure that out already. I personally keep forgetting this old terminal command, beause I come accross this a lot.

Terminal:

date 112611052013

translated to lamens terms.:

date nov 26th 11:05 2013.

Hope this helps for anyone else coming across this posting.

Mar 16, 2014 10:30 AM in response to Tim Hassett

Hey, i just run in to something similar, tonight while trying to fix a computer.🙂

The user set the time and date on his computer to 1998 and computer locked everything including time and date in system preferences, and his user account basicly making him from administrator to guest. he could not almost any program properly that required administrator privilages.

to fix this we used this comand in terminal " sudo date 201703162014 " todays time and date

20:17 03/16 2014

we tryed everything and this fixed in 2 seconds

ps: when you type sudo in terminal it whil give you a warning the improper use of this command is bad.... click continue.otherwhise you will not be able to execute the command.

thanks again for this post and have a great day

How to set system time from Terminal while booted from 10.6.3 server install disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.