Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy data from a column and paste it into a row?

I would like to take 25 cells from a column (25 rows of data from that column) and

paste it into another sheet but have it pasted across in a row instead of in a column

as it was originally. So, I would end up with a new row, 25 columns wide.

Is there a simple way? At the moment, I have to copy and paste each cell individually?

Thanks,

Tony.

Mac Pro/MacBoo Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Mac Since Late September '09

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 1:12 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2011 7:24 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

I looked up transpose and offset in Numbers help as well as

a PDF copy of the user guide and still cannot find how to re-arrange

copied/pasted data.

Transpose seems to be a command used in charts. Rather than actually

converting column data into row data, it appears to change the way column

and row data is used in a chart.

If I'm missing the point, you have my permission to knock some sense into

me ;-)

Thanks,

Tony.

Apr 27, 2011 6:49 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

I was adding some comments to the previous post when the server went down and I'm just getting back to this.

Here are full transposition examples:

User uploaded file

These two methods are identical in the results they deliver, just a difference in the functions used to get there. The expressions in the destination table just read the displayed content of the original table. You then have to Copy and Paste Values to do anything useful with the result because you don't want to be carrying around that set of equations.

Yvan's Applescripts deserve your attention. At least one of them offers the advantage of moving the formulas around so you can work on a table with calculations and not have to redo the formulas.

I post the built-in Numbers Functions method because it's my opinion that if deserves mention even if it's not the best option. Secondly, not everyone is comfortable with scripts. And lastly, if you're just moving data and labels, not formulas, the scripts offer less advantage to the infrequent user.

Jerry

How do I copy data from a column and paste it into a row?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.