Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iTunes to populate the BPM column in my library?

I use beats per minute to select titles for playlists for my water aerobics classes. I figured out how to get the BPM column to appear in my library display, but there are no data in the column. I can't find anything in Help or elsewhere that says how to make that happen. Suggestions? I'm brand new to iPod, iTunes, etc. Thanks!

iPod classic, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 3:28 PM

iTunes has a field for BPM, but offers no means to automatically populate it. To fill it in, you need to use a 3rd party BPM detection program such as Beatunes: http://www.beatunes.com/itunes-automatic-bpm-detection.html

Beatunes operates automatically and is designed to work seamlessly with iTunes.

21 replies

Apr 8, 2014 6:49 AM in response to jeb

jeb wrote:

Thanks ED, but I notice it's fairly pricy at about $40. Is there no other option at a less expensive price?

HI jeb,

There are several cheap or free iOS apps for BPM detection available in the App Store. They are more oriented to displaying BPM rather than directly updating your iTunes database, but maybe that will work for you.

Jul 3, 2015 5:34 PM in response to ed2345

I use Tangerine, it is not supported very well, but it does a decent job of doing the bpm and then will transfer it to itunes. If you want to take the time, you can "tap" a song to get the beat you feel is correct if you don't agree. Mixmeister does not work well on a Mac, but works nicely on a PC. No support for that either, and the free bpm doesn't work well. There are apps out there, but they are no help with itunes, but you could manually go through and find the songs you wanted bpm on. Now itunes has changed the way they list song in the playlist and removed the bpm and I am trying to find a way to put the bpm back into the playlist. I suspect this isn't going to work. Which really is annoying. More than annoying, but I won't be rude. Even though I want to.

Jul 20, 2015 12:50 AM in response to java222

@java222: When you look at your playlists in iTunes,

• you have to switch into "Songs" mode (the button is on the top-right of the iTunes window, just below the "Search" field).
  • Once you are in "Songs" mode, you can re-enable the BPM column by
  • clicking on "Songs" again,
  • then choosing "Show Columns"
  • and then "Beats Per Minute".

That aside, to determine BPM for iTunes songs on OS X, there is also BeatGauge (full disclosure—I'm the author).

Aug 8, 2015 10:31 PM in response to Ludio

locally stored = internal or external drive, but not on iCloud

writable = can't be read-only (I guess that's a given)

in iTunes = this app requires iTunes. it does not work on files alone.

Also, the files must not be DRM protected, which is the case for old iTunes bought files and Apple Music files!

Regarding your external drive question: Because of sandbox issues, the app works best with music files stored in /Users/NAME/Music

If for some reason the app cannot find your files, please try dragging directly from Finder instead of iTunes and/or contact support.

How do I get iTunes to populate the BPM column in my library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.