Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen when using ARD to headless Mac Mini

When using Apple Remote Desktop to connect to a headless Mac Mini, I get a black screen. However, once I plug a monitor into it, I can see the remote machine screen. Is there something I can set on the remote machine (the Mac Mini) so I do not need to have a monitor permanently connected to it?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 6:42 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2011 1:08 PM in response to Mike Morper

I actually just encountered the same exact problem today. I've had a Mac Mini connected to a 42" TV for the past 6 months, and I always used ARD to view the screen (rarely via the TV).

Today, I moved the machine to a new location, one which leaves it headless, and now ARD displays a black screen. I don't know if it has to do with the Mini not knowing what resolution to present, since it doesn't have a display connected to it, but it's definitely causing a problem- I no longer have the 42" TV, or any display, for that matter, to use!

Black screen when using ARD to headless Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.